Budget & Planning
FY16 UAF Budget Guidance
The State of Alaska general fund makes up over 40 percent of the UAF total budget (FY15). The remaining 60 percent is earned through other sources such as externally funded research activity, student tuition and fees, and auxiliary activities.
During the first part of this fiscal year, UAF worked to prepare for reductions at a $14 million level. Due to the drop in the price of oil, in FY16 the state is making reductions at a much greater level. UAF is expecting a shortfall in the $19-24 million range at worst-case, although the budget will not be final until April/May 2015 for FY16.
UAF will likely be a smaller institution in the coming years, but must continue to offer quality programs and services to the benefit of Alaskans. In addition to looking at ways to generate additional revenue, UAF has enlisted a variety of strategies to reduce spending, including special academic program reviews, nonacademic program reviews and budget reduction options being considered by each vice chancellor. Results of the special program reviews, including changes to some academic programs will be available in April 2015.
Please feel free to provide feedback HERE as UAF works to implement solutions to these challenges.
For UA updates on the budget and other UA System advocacy information, please click HERE.
Academic Program Review - Recommendations
Provost Susan Henrichs has completed a review of academic programs, which aims to identify $1-3 million in reductions over time. Not all programs were reviewed.
UAF will be announcing that some degree and certificate programs will be discontinued or have admissions suspended. The discontinued or suspended programs will be only a fraction of what UAF offers, less than 10 percent of the total. Because these are lower-enrollment programs, only about 2 percent of UAF's students are enrolled in them.
UAF will make arrangements for all currently enrolled students to complete their programs in a timely fashion. This is a responsibility that the university has when it admits students to a program and is required by UAF's accrediting organization.
The PBC criteria for special academic program review is as follows:
- The lowest enrollment programs, by type - certificate, associate, baccalaureate, graduate
- Enrollment declines of more than 30 percent in the past five years
- Graduating the lowest number of students in the past three years, for programs by type
A few low-enrollment graduate programs were excluded based on levels of external research funding, and a few grant-funded certificate and low-cost programs were also excluded.
Planning & Budget Committee (PBC)
The UAF Planning & Budget Committee (PBC) was charged by the Chancellor with reviewing and assessing the options reduction and revenue generation provided by the Budget Options Group (December 2013). In March 2014, the PBC agreed to guiding principles and a decision process. About twenty additional budget reduction items were added to the initial list, either by committee members or by other individuals from across the campus community. The PBC rated the reduction/efficiency options and passed those ratings and an evaluative review to the Chancellor's Cabinet in May 2014. Broad feedback was collected and reviewed.
As the budget climate has continued to tighten, the PBC was reconvened in the fall of 2014 to further examine all cost reduction actions, consider any new viable options, and determine which programs will undergo a special program review based on identified criteria.
Special Program Reviews
The PBC recommended special program reviews of a number of non-academic and academic programs. Special committees are reviewing the operational and/or financial models for the following programs:
- Farms and large animal care
- Public information, marketing and communications
- Summer Sessions and Lifelong Learning
- K-12 outreach/bridging programs
- Revenue enhancement options
For updates on current and completed special program reviews, click HERE.
UAF Vision 2020
The PBC additionally created a UAF Vision 2020 document to guide its deliberations. Vision for the future, strategies to achieve goals and areas that may be reduced as a result, are noted. The PBC recommends this for consideration by other university evaluation committees, as applicable.
FY15-FY16 Actions to Address Shortfalls
Recognizing that all PBC proposed options may not produce substantial savings in FY15, UAF has implemented a combination of across-the-board (ATB) reductions (applicable at the Vice Chancellor level) in addition to vertical or targeted reductions. This allows UAF leadership to achieve the necessary targets in FY15 while working on the longer-term items that may take more time to produce savings in FY16+.
A summary listing of the budget actions is posted HERE.
The full UAF report with detail is posted HERE.