During Orientation you'll meet a team of specially trained student Orientation Leaders; we call them OLs. OLs will help guide you in your transition to the University of Alaska Fairbanks.
If you are a current UAF student interested in becoming an OL, scroll to the bottom of this page to access the online application.
Become an Orientation Leader!
Expectations and responsibilities for Orientation Leaders (OL’s) include:
- Attend and actively participate in all OL training programs.
- Assist with the organization, planning, and implementation of NSO programs and activities.
- Acquaint new students with campus services, activities, facilities, and encourage them to actively participate in the UAF environment through a positive and professional manner.
- Lead, manage and facilitate a group of 10-25 new students and their development through the NSO process.
- Give informative, friendly and engaging campus tours.
- Continue to interact with the incoming students through their first year at UAF; be approachable and respectful.
- Participate in the evaluation process of the UAF NSO program.
- Additional duties as assigned.
The minimum qualifications for OLs include:
- Good academic standing (i.e. GPA of 2.5 or higher) and good disciplinary standing for at least one semester at UAF.
- Relate well with students, parents, faculty and administrators.
- Be reliable, responsible, confident, flexible, willing to help and have demonstrated communication skills.
- Express a desire to learn more about UAF.
- Be available for all training and NSO sessions (Fall dates: Aug. 18 - Aug. 26, 2017).
There are numerous benefits to becoming an OL at UAF! These include:
- Personal, professional and leadership development.
- Enhance interpersonal skills, knowledge, confidence and service to others.
- Serve as a role model while assisting in the transition and retention of new students.
- Receive a stipend of up to $250 in Bear Bucks.
- Early move-in to the residence halls for those living on campus.
- Exclusive apparel and other swag.
- Make new friends and be recognized for being a great leader.
- IT'S FUN!!
Orientation Leaders must be available for training beginning Friday, August 18 through the end of the New Student Orientation program on Saturday, August 26, 2017.
Apply to be an Orientation Leader here: https://goo.gl/forms/0QLRwPZNhvPDjJA73.
First consideration will be given to applications received by Friday, April 7, 2017.