CREDIT FOR PRIOR LEARNING
Credit for Prior Learning is designed to help students receive college credit for life experience.
In order to pursue Credit for Prior Learning (CPL) a student must be:
- Currently enrolled in a degree-seeking program, and
- Seeking credit for courses that UAF currently offers
To receive credit for a course, students should:
- Talk with a faculty member from that department to verify that their life experience is equivalent to the course.
- Pull together any supporting documentation (certificates, letters of reference, books, training materials, etc.) that shows and quantifies his/her life experience.
- Compile the documentation into a portfolio, along with an unofficial transcript and justification for each course being requested. Three copies of the portfolio should be submitted to the faculty member who was originally consulted.
A committee, typically headed by the faculty member most familiar with the course, will review the documentation to determine whether credit should be awarded.
The process costs $50 to start, and $10 for each credit awarded.
For more in depth information please consult the Credit For Prior Learning Handbook.
Please refer to the CPL Forms page for any necessary CPL forms.