My name is Alina, and I transferred to UAF last year. One of the reasons I choose UAF was the number of research opportunities available to students. I work in the undergraduate fisheries lab studying burbot -- a freshwater fish closely related to cod that needs frigid water to breed. I am very interested in increasing the attention on Alaska's seafood, while learning as much as possible about seafood marketing. I live in a cabin about ten minutes from campus. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask!
10 things about Alina
- My last name is Fairbanks.
- My uncle was a producer for the TV show 3rd Rock in the late 1990s. When I was one year old I went to LA with my family and met Joseph Gordon-Levitt when he was on the TV show.
- I've worked in a fish processing plant for three years.
- I commercial fished in Bristol Bay last summer.
- I swam with whale sharks in Mexico.
- I live in a cabin.
- I hung out with the band The Head and the Heart after a private show.
- I love to acrylic paint.
- I enjoy hiking and camping.
- I have memorized the entire Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone movie.