Charles Davis Concert Hall
Fine Arts Complex
The 1,100-seat concert hall in the Fine Arts Complex was completed in 1974 and dedicated to Charles Davis on Nov. 4, 1984. It has acoustical properties acknowledged to be among the finest in the Northwest. The three-manual, 66-stop, 42-rank, Gress-Miles pipe organ specially designed for the facility was installed in June 1982. Although only one rack of zinc and poplar pipes is visible to the audience, the organ has more than 35 racks with more than 1,900 pipes and weighs a total of 15,000 pounds.
For the inaugural, concert the Fairbanks Symphony Orchestra performed Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture, with cannons from Fort Wainwright set off in the parking lot for the finale.