Fairbanks Experiment Farm
104 – 119 West Tanana Drive
In 1906, the federal government created the Fairbanks Experiment Farm as part of a network of agricultural experiment stations across Alaska. The Fairbanks location later was chosen by Congress to serve as Alaska’s first university, the Alaska Agricultural College and School of Mines, which opened in 1922.
The Fairbanks Experiment Farm today has 260 acres of cropland and 50 acres of forestland. The complex, on West Tanana Loop, includes facilities typical to a working farm, including a barn, maintenance shop, feed mill, forage dryer, hay storage, loafing shed, old barn silo and machine shed. The experiment farm manager’s residence sits among horticulture and agronomy buildings, a fertilizer storage shed and the visitor’s center. Three wood-fired pottery kilns built for the art department’s use are also housed in a shed on the farm grounds. The UAF site conducts research and studies on plants and animals to benefit local, state and national interests. Current research focuses on the nutritional characteristics of cereal grains developed in Alaska for livestock diets, and reindeer nutrition and production. The station develops strains of short grains, perennial plants, trees and shrubs that thrive in subarctic and arctic climates. The farm currently houses reindeer but in the past has been home to pigs, cattle and other animals.
Aurora magazine: Biofuels: Alaska's new power plants?