Signers' Hall

402 Salcha Street

Signers' Hall
Photo by Allison Blanchard, UAF Marketing and Communications

Built in 1931, the gymnasium was the first concrete structure on the UAF campus. On Feb. 6, 1956, nearly a thousand people witnessed the historic signing of the proposed Alaska Constitution. Because so many people showed up, delegates to the state Constitutional Convention moved the event to the gymnasium, which is why it was renamed as Signers’ Hall.

In February 2006 the Creating Alaska celebration on campus commemorated the 50th anniversary of the signing with Gov. Sarah Palin delivering an address on the main floor.

It now houses the Office of the Chancellor and other administrative offices, including Admissions and the Registrar’s Office.
 

Aurora magazine: Happy 50th birthday, Alaska

View location with street view in Google maps

Back to Top