1760 Tanana Loop
The William Elmhirst Duckering Building was completed in 1964. On Feb. 23, 2002, after more than a year of extensive renovations, the Duckering Building was rededicated. Today the building serves as home to the College of Engineering and Mines, classrooms and lab space.
The tradition stone in front of the Duckering Building celebrates the struggle of an engineer from 1922 to 1967. The stone tells a humorous story of the trials experienced by engineers.
William Elmhirst Duckering earned a bachelor's degree in 1903 and his civil engineering degree in 1916 from the University of Washington. Afterwards, he taught engineering classes and ended his career at the University of Alaska as dean.