How to Apply
BA Programs in Alaska Native Studies (ANS) and Rural Development (RD)
For quick reference of semester date and deadlines, the 2018-2019 Academic Calendar is available here.
To change your major please fill out the UAF Change of Major Form available through the UAF Office of the Registrar:
- Change of Major Form - PDF
To Apply for the BA degree in Alaska Native Studies or Rural Development, you must:
- Apply for undergraduate admission to UAF through the online application with the Office of Admissions
- Submit a DANSRD Admission Questionnaire on Google Docs, or if you prefer a Word document: DANSRD Admission Questionnaire. Email to UAF Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org
Specific information about the RD and ANS programs are available at:
Overview of the Alaska Native Studies Program is available here
Overview of the Rural Development Program is available here.
MA Program in Rural Development (RD)
Admission to the UAF Master's degree program in Rural Development (RD) follows the UAF Graduate School requirements and deadlines.
To apply for the MA degree, you must have:
- A Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution with at least 3.0 ("B") cumulative grade point average in undergraduate studies, and a 3.0 average in your major.
BA degrees should be in one of the following: Rural Development, Alaska Native Studies, Business Administration, Natural Resources Management, Political Science, Economics, Northern Studies, or a related field, based on review and approval of RD program faculty.
- TOEFL = 550 (if English is not your first language)
- Three letters of recommendation (signed, dated, and no more than two years old)
- Original transcripts from all higher education institutions attended
- A brief essay (500 words of less) stating your academic goals and reasons for wanting to earn an MA in Rural Development
- Compete the RD M.A. Research Project Outline
- UAF Graduate Apply Now with a $60 processing fee
NOTE: Students with a BA degree grade point average below 3.0 must take the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
Fall semester admission: April 15 (DANSRD ONLY)
Spring semester admission: October 15 (DANSRD ONLY)
Completed Admissions Applications, send to:
PO Box 757480
Fairbanks, Alaska 99775-7480
Phone: (907) 474-7500; Toll free: (800) 478-1UAF; Fax: (907) 474-5379