Youth Climbing Team
Providing climbing instruction for Fairbanks youth, ages 6-18
Climbing Team Information
About the Team:
The mission of the Fairbanks Youth Climbing Team is to introduce and cultivate rock climbing skills, techniques, and movement within the Fairbanks area youth. The purpose of this mission is to enhance teamwork, communication, and confidence within our climbers. Our teaching methods nurture this purpose.
Some notes about the Team:
- During the long summer break we offer an outdoor climbing trip, typically to Grapefruit Rocks.
- During practices we plan to visit the UAF Outdoor Rock Tower as weather permits.
- We encourage the climbing team members to participate and compete in our local UAF indoor climbing compititions.
- We hope to expand, and in the future offer competition trips to Anchorage and beyond!
- We operate on the University Schedule. See below to for a printable copy of our schedule.
All instruction will take place under the expert supervision of our climbing instructor staff. We offer two regular practices, each with a different focus:
Friday Climbing Practice: This practice is more specifically aimed at teaching your child the skills he or she needs in order to grow in the sport of climbing. During practices our coaches will pinpoint each athlete's strengths and weaknesses and will teach skills in smaller groups.
- Each Friday 4:30-6 pm, (no practice on March 21st or April 25th)
- Cost: $25/session or $340/semester (14 - 1.5 hour sessions per semester)
We will accept a maximum of 6 students.
Saturday Climbing Practice: This practice aims to grow a lifelong appreciation of climbing in our members. Each session will have free climb and a skills portion. Our coaches will cover different skills on a rotating basis. Team members will get a chance to help their teammates learn as they become proficient at the skills.
- 1st & 3rd Saturdays of each month, 9-11 am;
- Cost: $30/session or $200/semester (7 - 2 hour sessions per semester)
We will accept a maximum of 10 students.
How to Sign up:
At the SRC front desk in person or call/email Jaime; see contact info below.
When you come to your first practice please be prepared to fill out a few forms!
For more information contact:
Outdoor Adventures Graduate Assistant