Youth Climbing Team
Climbing Team Information
About the Team:
The mission of the Fairbanks Youth Climbing Team is to introduce and cultivate rock climbing skills, techniques, and movement within the Fairbanks area youth. The purpose of this mission is to enhance teamwork, communication, and confidence within our climbers. Our teaching methods nurture this purpose.
Some notes about the Team:
- During the long summer break we offer an outdoor climbing trip, typically to Grapefruit Rocks.
- During practices we plan to visit the UAF Outdoor Rock and Ice Towers as weather permits.
- Currently we encourage the climbing team members to participate and compete in our local UAF climbing compititions. We typically have 3 per year.
- We hope to expand, and in the future offer competition trips to Anchorage and beyond!
- We operate on the University Schedule. See below to for a printable copy of our schedule.
All instruction will take place under the expert supervision of our climbing instructor staff. We offer two regular practices, each with a different focus:
Targeted Skills Practice: This is the practice for members who have a passion for climbing and might someday like to compete. Predominately focuses on climbing movement but will also include technical skills as climbers’ progress. Coaching will be more specific and will give each team member the opportunity to grow as a climber.
- Who: Ages 6 & up.
- When: Every week, Fridays from 4:30-5:30 pm
- Cost: $18/session or $240/semester (14 sessions this semester)
Maximum of 8 students
Recreational Climbing Practice: This practice aims to grow a lifelong appreciation of climbing in our members. Each session will have free climb and a skills portion. Our coaches will cover different skills on a rotating basis. Team members will get a chance to help their teammates learn as they become proficient at the skills.
- Who: Ages 6 & up. We will split up by age group as listed below.
- When: 2 Saturdays per month, 9-11 am;
- Age 6-9: 1st & 3rd Saturdays
- Age 10 & up: 2nd & 4th Saturdays
- Cost: $30/session or $200/semester (7 sessions this semester)
Maximum of 12 students per age group
How to Sign up:
At the SRC front desk in person.
When you come to your first practice please be prepared to fill out a few forms!
For more information contact:
Outdoor Adventures Graduate Assistant