News and Events
New Books and Works Published by UAF Faculty
- Chris Coffman, Associate Professor of English, recently published an article entitled "The Migrating Look: Visual Economies of Queer Desire in The Book of Salt" in Texas Studies in Literature and Language 56.2 (Summer 2014). Her new article on Gertrude Stein's The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas is forthcoming in the winter 2014 issue of Arizona Quarterly. She has been recently elected Secretary of the International Comparative Literature Associations Gender Studies Committee.
- Jennifer Schell, Assistant Professor of English, has a new book through the University of Massachusetts Press, entitled A Bold and Hardy Race of Men: The Lives and Literature of American Whalemen, focusing on masculinity in American whaling literature.
- Sean (Donald) Hill, Visiting Assistant Professor of Creative Writing, has published a short story fiction "They Drove" New England Review (Digital), Summer 2013, and poetry "Above It All" in Water-Stone Review and "Postcard to Anna" in Poecology, 2012.
Recent PublicationsShort fiction“They Drove” New England Review (Digital), Summer 2013Poems“Still Life with Starlings and Man” The Harvard Review, issue 44, Summer 2013.“Postcard to the Bottoms of My Shoes” Mantis, issue 11, Spring 2013.“Conundrum at the Artist Colony” Copper Nickel, issue 18, Fall 2012.“Postcard to Listlessness” Copper Nickel, issue 18, Fall 2012.“Vacation” Copper Nickel, issue 18, Fall 2012.“Spring in Bemidji” Crab Orchard Review, Vol. 17, No. 2, Summer/Fall 2012.“Above It All” Water~Stone Review, Vol. 1, Fall 2012.“Postcard to Anna” Poecology, issue 2, 2012. http://poecology.org/issue-2/sean-hill/Information about poetry collections:Blood Ties & Brown Liquor can be found at www.seanhillpoetry.comDangerous Goods can be pre-ordered at:and
- Daryl Farmer, Assistant Professor of English, has a new short story published in the Summer 2013 issue of The Whitefish Review titled "Where We Land" and his book Bicycling beyond the Divide was release in paperback in December, 2012.
- Gerri Brightwell, Associate Professor of Creative Writing, has a new publication: her short story "North" has just been published in Conte (Vol 9 issue 1). Upcoming publications include her short stories "Sunk" (Redivider fall, 2013), "His Good Fortune" (Fiction Southwest, fall 2013), "Lagniappe" (Los Angeles Review, November 2013), and "Beast" (Gargoyle, summer 2014).
Derick Burleson, Associate Professor of English, has recently had two books of poems published:
Midnight Sun Visiting Writers Series has returned!
Sept 26, 2014 Thomas McGuane, 7pm in Schaible Auditorium
This year the Midnight Sun Visiting Writers series is proud to be bring to UAF writers from both inside and outside of Alaska.
Our first visitor is Thomas McGuane. He lives on a ranch in McLeod, Montana and is the author of 10 novels, three works of nonfiction, and two collections of stories. His next book is a new story collection, Crow Fair. Mr. McGuane will be speaking Friday Sept. 26, 2014 in Schaible Auditorium at 7pm. Please make plans to attend.
Upcoming guest include:
October 3rd: John Morgan and Kesler Woodward.
October 17: Sherry Simpson.
November 7: Adrianne Harun.
2014-15 Writing Contest will open soon.
Use your words to win cash. Watch this space for updates.
Come as your alter ego! Dead Writers are coming....
Watch this space for the upcoming Dead Writers Night. Who's your favorite writer...who do you wish you could be? You will have your chance to make your dream come true in October.