J-1 Visa Category

UAF Departments may host or sponsor Department of State Exchange Visitors (J-1 Visa Category)

  • Sponsoring document is a Form DS-2019
  • Has 13 categories of which we are authorized four: student, professor, short term scholar and research scholar – there are different rules for each category
  • J-1 student may not be self-supporting: must have some type of sponsoring funds that allow the individual to participate in the exchange
  • J-1 professor/short term scholar/ research scholar may be self supporting but there must be some reason for the University to be sponsoring them to be here
  • The J-1 category will not be used for individuals being hired in benefit-eligible positions as the result of a competitive recruitment, to include post-docs for positions lasting over 6 months.  These are more appropriately sponsored in the H-1B status. 
  • Dependent is a J-2 who is eligible to study full time/enter a degree program, and work with USCIS employment authorization. At no time may the funds of the J-2 be used to support the J-1 (separate checking/saving accounts are advised; cannot buy food or pay utilities, etc) It is the responsibility of the J-2 dependent to file immigration form I-765 (Request for Employment Authorization) with the USCIS Service Center.  Employment cannot begin until after the employment authorization card has been received by the J-2 

J-1 Visa Overview

UAF J-1 Authorization Request Form Instructions

J-1 Insurance Information

J-1 Exchange Visitor Category Descriptions:


Research Scholar

Short-Term Scholar


J-1 Exchange Visitor Eligibility, Restrictions, and Other Considerations

Eligibility and Academic Credentials


Export Control Certification

Additional Considerations

Questions or Additional Information

Contact Carol Holz or Joanna Cruzan if you have questions or need additional information.

Back to Top