Health Insurance Requirement
As an international student, you are required to have a certain level of health insurance coverage. You are automatically enrolled with the UAF Student Health Insurance, unless you can provide us documentation that you are adequately covered through another provider. See below for details if you would like to obtain a waiver from the requirement to have UAF Student Health Insurance.
In order to receive a waiver
Required insurance coverage (no exceptions, as this is per US Federal Regulations):
- Medical benefits of at least $50,000 per accident or illness;
- Repatriation of remains in the amount of $7,500;
- Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $10,000; and
- A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness.
- An insurance policy secured to fulfill the requirements of this section:
a . May require a waiting period for pre-existing conditions which is reasonable as determined by current industry standards;
b. May include provision for co-insurance under the terms of which the exchange visitor may be required to pay up to 25% of the covered benefits per accident or illness; and
c. Shall not unreasonably exclude coverage for perils inherent to the activities of the exchange program in which the exchange visitor participates.
- Any policy, plan, or contract secured to fill the above requirements must, at a minimum, be: Underwritten by an insurance corporation having an A.M. Best rating of ``A-'' or above, An Insurance Solvency International, Ltd. (ISI) rating of ``A-i'' or above, a Standard & Poor's Claims-paying Ability rating of ``A-'' or above, a Weiss Research, Inc. rating of B+ or above, or such other rating as the Department of State may from time to time specify; or is backed by the full faith and credit of the government of the exchange visitor's home country.
UAF Departments or Exchange Visitors may purchase insurance from any provider who meets the minimum coverage and insurance rating requirements.
If you plan on requesting a Health Insurance Waiver in lieu of purchasing UAF student insurance, you must provide a copy of your health insurance which includes the following:
1. Medical benefits of at least $50,000 per accident or illness.
2. Repatriation of mortal remains to his/her home country in the minimum amount of $7,500. (It is absolutely necessary that the underlined words appear in the insurance policy.)
3. Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the minimum amount of $10,000.
4. A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness.
5. Coverage is required for the duration of semester(s). If you will be staying in the U.S. longer than the duration of the semester(s), it is a good idea to have insurance coverage for the total time in the U.S.