Ellen D.S. Lopez, MPH, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Psychology, Undergrad Coordinator
Fall 2017 Office Hours
Tuesdays 12 - 3pm & by appointment
Office: 705C Gruening Building
If unable to reach Dr. Lopez, you can call the Department of Psychology direct.
Education and Training:
2002 – 2004 University of Michigan – Ann Arbor, MI
· Post-doctoral Fellowship: W. K. Kellogg Community Health Scholars Program
1996 - 2002 University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill, NC
· Doctoral Program of Public Health: Health Behavior Health Education
1994 - 1996 University of Washington - Seattle, WA
· Masters in Public Health: Social Behavioral Sciences
1984 - 1988 University of Wisconsin - Madison, WI
· Bachelor of Arts: Psychology and Social Welfare
· Qualitative Analysis (Psychology 658)
· Psychological, Behavioral and Social Issues in Public Health
· Theoretical Foundations of Social Behavioral Science Research and Practice
· Assessment and Surveillance
· Community Competence, Capacity and Empowerment (Co-instructor)
· Research Methods in Health Behavior and Health Education (Co-instructor)
· Cancer Prevention and Control Seminar (TA)
· Core Course in Social and Behavioral Sciences (TA)
· With my training and experience in public health and community-based participatory research, I am interested in developing strong and mutually beneficial collaborative research partnerships with Alaska Native organizations and communities.
· The focus of my research program is to identify and begin to address the factors that impact cancer prevention, early detection, control, and survivorship among Alaska Native individuals, their families, and their communities.
Peer Reviewed Articles:
Burg, MA, López, EDS., Dailey, A, Keller, ME, Prendergast, B. Minority Breast Cancer Survivors Reactions to a Survivorship Care Plan. Journal of General Internal Medicine (Accepted, 29 April 2009).
López, EDS., Khoury, AJ, Dailey, AB, Hall, AG, Chisholm, LR (2009). Screening mammography: Characteristics of current, overdue, and never screeners. Women’s Health Issues, 19(6), 434-445.
Classen, S, Winter, S., López, EDS. (2009). Meta-synthesis of qualitative studies on older driver safety and mobility. OTJR: Occupation, Participation and Health , 29 (1), 24-31.
López, EDS., Fesperman, SF, Graff, SH, Schropp, S, Catalanotto, ST, Robinson, A, Major, ZI (2009). A study of bus stop accessibility: Public Health students working in partnership with the Center for Independent Living. Florida Public Health Review, 6:50-57. http://health.usf.edu/publichealth/fphr/index.htm .
Hall A, Khoury AJ, Lopez, EDS., Lisovicz N, Avis-Williams A, Mitra A. (2008). Factors Associated with Breast Cancer Fatalism. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved, 19:1328-1342.
Nelson, A, Ricardo, F, Forges, B, López, EDS. (2008). Creando Nuestra Salud (Creating Our Health) – Results and findings from a breast cancer education program with rural Hispanic women. Florida Public Health Review, 5:99-103.
Dodge, B., Zachry, K., Reece, M., López, EDS., Herbenick, D., Gant, K., Tanner, A., and Martinez, O. (2008). Sexuality education in Florida: Content, context, and controversy. American Journal of Sexuality Education, 3(2), 67-93.
López, EDS , Lichtenstein, R, Lewis, AT, Allen, R. Johnson, P, Baum, N.(2007). Increasing Enrollment of Uninsured Children on Detroit's Eastside: Drawing from Freirian Empowerment Methods to Develop and Use Innovative Learning Maps.” Health Promotion Practice, 8(2):181-191.
Lichtenstein, R.,Banaszak-Holl, J, Calloway, J, Ross, R, Allen, R, López, EDS., Johnson, P. (2006). Training welfare caseworkers in service excellence: Increasing children’s Medicaid coverage. Journal of Healthcare for the Poor and Underserved, 17(3), 486-492.
López, EDS., Parker, E, Edgren, K, Brakefield-Caldwell, W. (2005). Planning and conducting community forums to disseminate research findings using a CBPR approach: A case study from Community Action Against Asthma. Metropolitan Universities Journal, 16(1): 57-76.
López EDS., Eng, E, Robinson, N.(2005) Quality of life concerns of African American Breast Cancer Survivors within Rural North Carolina: Blending the Techniques of Photovoice and Grounded Theory. Qualitative Health Research, 15(1): 99-115
Ellen D.S. López, Barbara Curbow. Social and Behavioral Sciences in Public Health. In Andresen E, Defries, E (Eds.) Public Health Concepts: An Undergraduate Textbook and Toolkit. Jossey-Bass Publishers. (in press)
Ellen D.S. López, Eugenia Eng, Naomi Robinson, Caroline C. Wang (2005) Photovoice as a Community-Based Participatory Research Method: A Case Study with African American Breast Cancer Survivors in Rural Eastern North Carolina. In Barbara A. Israel, Eugenia Eng, Amy J. Schulz, Edith A. Parker (Eds.) Methods for Conducting Community-Based Participatory Research for Health