Matanuska Experiment Farm
The Matanuska Experiment Farm, part of the Agriculture & Forestry Experiment Station, provides a site in Southcentral Alaska for research in sustainable agriculture, land reclamation and other environmental issues like reneweable energy and evironmental remediation. The Experiment Farm is located on Georgeson Road off the George Parks Highway about 36 miles north of Anchorage. It includes 260 acres of cultivated land and 800 acres of forest land for research or demonstration purposes, including barns, feed storage facilities and pasture land. The experiment farm has a complete complement of farm equipment to produce and harvest grain, forage (both hay and silage) and other crops. There are also field and laboratory facilities for research on soils, plants and livestock.
The farm is also home to the Mat-Su/Copper River Extension office on the second floor of Kerttula Hall. We have partnered with Alaska Pacific University who utilize the farms greenhouses to grow food for Alaska Tilth. Alaska Department of Fish and Game Biologist Bill Collins has a 20 acre enclosure currently housing moose and caribou as part of a long-term nutritional study.
- 1917: Established as a United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Agricultural Experiment Station
- 1931: Transferred to the University of Alaska
Palmer, AK 99645