Student Organization Toolbox
What it Means to be a SOM Student Organization
Any group or club can become and official UAF student organization by following the process outlined by the UAF LIVE department, which oversees student organizations. Once a club is established, LIVE outlines expectations for all student clubs, as well as a re-recognition process that must be completed each semester.
Recognition as a School of Management (SOM) Student Organization provides many additional benefits, both for the SOM Student Org (SSO) as a whole, and for individual members within the group. However, in order to be recognized as a SOM Student Organization, each SSO must also meet a few additional requirements.
Benefits for SOM Student Organizations
3) Marketing Outlets
4) Marketing Assistance
Requirements for SOM Student Organizations
1) Send one officer to a SOM Student Organization Orientation Session each fall semester
2) Notify SOM of SSO regular meeting dates for inclusion on the SOM Event Calendar
3) Provide a list of SSO Membership, including email addresses, when requested by SOM
4) Submit an SSO Report four times per academic year
5) Submit at least three photos of your group or club activities along with each SSO Report
6) Work with SOM for liaison assistance with UA Executives at any SSO events
For more details on each of these items, download the full document - What it Means to be a SOM Student Organization
Twice a semester your student organization is required to submit a Student Organization Report.
Report due dates for this semester are:
Monday, February 27, 2017
Monday, April 10, 2017
Each report must include a summary of recent activities and at least three photos.
Completion of all reports is required in order for the student organization to maintain their status as a SOM Student Organization.
As you know, photos are part of every report you submit as a SOM student organization. To make things more fun, check out these Photo Tips to find new ideas for taking photos with your group.
A major benefit of being a SOM Student Org is the opportunity to earn funds for your organization.
The SOM Student Organization Purchasing Policy outlines the rules for using this funding, and the process for accessing the funds in your SOM account.
You will need to fill out a SOM Purchase Request Form whenever you would like to make a purchase from your SOM account.
SOM Marketing Resources
Weekly eNews – Wednesdays
- Send content – including PDFs and/or JPGs – to Andrea by Wednesdays at 9am
SOM Event Calendar
- Send information about upcoming events for inclusion on SOM Event Calendar
- Send finished content – JPGs in 4:3 ratio (e.g. 1600x1200 pixels)
- SOM screens (Bunnell Hallway) – Send directly to Andrea
- Other campus screens – Send to email@example.com
Flyers or other Marketing Materials
- For help with design or printing, email Andrea or visit Bunnell 207 to submit your request
SOM is active on Facebook, and many student organizations have active pages, as well.
Keep in mind that your social media sites should be just as professional as your website. Social media is generally more informal, but don't post anything you wouldn't want your parents - or SOM Dean Herrmann - to read.
Some quick tips for Facebook
- Create a group if it's just for members of your student organization
- Create a page if it's for everyone
- Make sure more than one person, preferably your faculty advisor, is an administrator
Websites are a great way to distribute information to current and potential members. The standard for UAF student organizations is to create a website through Google sites using your alaska.edu account.
Websites need to be regularly updated. If your website hasn't been updated in over a year and has spelling and punctuation errors, your student organization is not going to make a good impression. SOM reserves the right to remove links to your website from our site if a student organization site is not being well-maintained.
Need some help to get started? Try this link for some quick tips
- Basics of Web Design: 14 tips for better pages
Federal law requires the following statement to appear on all UAF print, multimedia and web publications designed for external, off-campus distribution.
UAF is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and educational institution.
UAF is an AA/EO employer and educational institution