Transportation and Parking
UAF Sustainable Transportation program focuses on conserving energy and reducing emissions created by commuting and intra-campus transportation. They are doing this by increasing the fuel economy of the UAF fleet, reducing dependence on personal vehicles, making campus more compact and providing housing close to campus.
What is UAF doing?
- There are now five hybrid vehicles in the UAF Transportation Services fleet including two dump trucks.
- UAF has a shuttle system to reduce dependence on personal vehicles on campus. UAF shuttles are equipped to transport students, faculty, and staff with permanent or temporary disabilities between University facilities. Rides are provided free of charge.
- All campus shuttles now carry GPS trackers; the locations of all shuttles can be found on a dedicated shuttle website, and there are display panels in the bus waiting shelters.
- Any UAF campus ID can be used to ride the Fairbanks North Star Borough MACS public bus system for free as the result of a donation from the UAF Chancellor.
- The UAF Parking Services Department is now offering a new service for bicycle enthusiasts: "Bicycle Locker Rentals!" Parking Services realizes the need to provide secured space for affiliates to store their bicycles and accessories. The bicycle lockers will help eliminate vandalism and theft and protect bicycles and accessories from the elements.
- There is a campus ride-share program utilizing AlterNetWays, a Certified Green Business.
- A UAF 11-passenger van (with wheelchair access) considered excess by UAF Parking Services is in the process of being converted to electric. When the bus is used for 100 days during the summer it could save $2500 in operating costs.
- Power to head bolt outlets for heating vehicles in winter is cycled to save energy.
Find out more information by visiting our "Take Green Transportation" page under the "Get Involved" tab.