URSA is accepting applications for Spring Travel Awards.
The deadline to apply is January 29, 2017.
Project Awards are offered three times each year.
Fall and spring project awards are up to $2,500.
Summer awards are up to $5,000.
These awards may be used to cover: student stipend, tuition, travel and supplies or services.
Fall, spring and summer travel awards are up to $2,000.
Travel funds support presenting research or creative activity outcomes at a public or professional meeting or attending a conference or workshop to further the student’s research. Travel to conduct research should be funded through project awards.
Students wishing to apply as a pair or group may do so, however, one of the students must contact the URSA office in advance of proposal submission for notification purposes. The amount of funding available will be limited to that round of funding. For example, two students jointly submitting an application for a project award may only request $2,500 total and should develop their budget accordingly.
- Any discipline
- Any year (freshman through senior)
- Fall and Spring Awards - student must be enrolled in at least 12 credits at any UAF campus for current semester (or acceptable explanation for fewer credits)
- Summer Project and Travel Awards - students need to be enrolled in 12 or more credits for the spring semester prior to and the fall semester following the summer
- GPA of 2.3 or better - students on probation are not eligible
- Students that have graduated are not eligible
- Must have a mentor and an established project
- Students that have received full funding from another UAF program for a specific project are not eligible for additional funding from URSA
- Mentor email to URSA prior to deadline in support of request.
- Complete final evaluation after travel/project completion.
- Present results at Research Day, April 25, 2017. Failure to participate in Research Day and to submit a final evaluation will make the student ineligible for URSA funding the following year.
- Provide a photo of yourself and at least one of your project and/or travel to URSA upon completion of your award.
- During any academic year (e.g., AY 2016 - 2017; fall 2016, spring 2017 and summer 2017), an undergraduate student may not receive more than one travel award (fall or spring), and one project award (fall, spring or summer). This policy will allow for a greater number of students to receive awards with limited URSA funds.
Award selections will be based on:
- Written quality of the proposal - write for a general audience!
- Purpose of the travel with respect to potential for academic/research development for the student
- Potential for student learning and development as a result of the travel
- Adequate faculty involvement in the project or travel
- Emailed acknowledgement of support by the mentor to URSA by the application deadline
- Preference will be given to degree-seeking students
Evaluations are made by a minimum of four faculty members on the URSA Review Panel using the following scoring criteria. All applicants receive comments regarding their applications.
Evaluation CriteriaThe purpose of the student's proposed project/travel is:
(evaluated on a scale of 1-high - 5-low)
- to conduct or present a research/creative project
- to compete in a scholarly activity
- to participate in an internship/immersion
- to attend a workshop or acquire training that will facilitate a project
- not clearly expressed
Evaluated on a scale from 1 (exemplary) to 5 (insufficient):
- The explanation of the intellectual merit of the proposed project/travel
- The explanation of the proposed project/travel's contribution to a scholarly discipline is
- The potential for the proposed project/travel to effect student learning or scholarly development is
- The written quality of the proposal is
- The feasibility of the proposed project/travel seems
- The articulated goals and/or expected outcomes of the project/travel seem
- Through articulate writing and inclusion of details, the student's case for funding appears
- The faculty mentor's role and/or participation in the project/travel is
- The project/travel budget and justification seem
|AWARD TYPE||REQUEST FOR PROPOSAL (RFP) RELEASE||APPLICATION DEADLINE||WINNERS ANNOUNCED|
July 1–October 30, 2016
|July 18, 2016||July 31, 2016||August 12, 2016|
November 1–February 28, 2017
|August 29, 2016||September 25, 2016||October 14, 2016|
Spring Semester 2017
|October 10, 2016||November 20, 2016||December 9, 2016|
March 1–June 30, 2017
|December 5, 2016||January 29, 2017||February 10, 2017|
|January 20, 2017||February 26, 2017||March 24, 2017|
|ITE (Innovative Technology and Education)||February 6, 2017||March 12, 2017||April 7, 2017|
Fall Semester 2017
|March 6, 2017||June 25, 2017||July 17, 2017|