Tuition Waivers & Assistance

Financial aid for eligible active military members and veterans

In-state tuition for veterans

All veterans, separated or retired, regardless of their point of separation or state of residence are eligible to receive in-state tuition while attending UAF using their GI Bill Benefits. Please fill out the Application for Residence Tuition and turn your DD 214-Automated (which must contain item #24: "Character of Service"), separation orders, or retirement orders into admissions when applying for this waiver. 


In-state tuition for active military, spouses and dependents

All United States military personnel on active duty, their spouse, or dependent children are eligible for in-state tuition rates. Dependents of military also qualify for in-state rates while using their sponsor’s GI Bill benefits. An Application for Resident Tuition is required in the admission process.

Full tuition waiver for spouses/dependents of deceased veterans

The spouse or dependent of an armed services member who died in the line of duty or who died as a result of injuries sustained while in the line of duty or who was listed by the Department of Defense as a Prisoner of War or as Missing in Action is entitled to a waiver of undergraduate tuition and fees from the Alaska Department of Military and Veterans Affairs. The students must be in good standing in a state-supported educational institution in Alaska. 

National Guard tuition reimbursement

Active members of the AK National Guard are eligible to receive 100% of the undergraduate rate of the University of Alaska; with a maximum yearly benefit of $4,500.00 per fiscal year (01 JUL through 30 JUN).  You must remain in the Alaska National Guard during the entire term of courses.   The lifetime maximum State Tuition Reimbursement benefit is 208 quarter or 144 Semester credits.  Army National Guard Enlisted Soldiers must apply for Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) in order to be eligible to apply for State Tuition Reimbursement.  Apply for FTA with your education rep. and manage your TA at GoArmyEd

To apply for State Tuition Reimbursement you MUST contact your unit full-time representative to obligate funds as soon as you know you will be going to school. Information needed will be the name of the school, approximate start date and number of credits to be taken. For more information, see the Army National Guard TA handout.

If you are uncertain which GI Bill is right for you as a member of the Army National Guard or Air Guard, see our GI Bill comparison sheet.

Active duty tuition assistance

As an eligible member of the U.S. Armed Forces, you are able to take advantage of a program which allows you to have military pay to further your civilian education. 

For all branches of service (Air Force, Army, Navy, Marines, and Coast Guard), you may receive:

  • 100% tuition and fees not to exceed $250 per semester credit hour, $166 per quarter credit hour, or $4500 per fiscal year
  • Reimbursable fees which include lab, enrollment, special, and computer fees

Service members must obtain TA through their branch of service:

Back to Top