Using Your VA Educational Benefits


Please look at the menu to the left to see what status accurately describes you as a student (new, transfer, or continuing) to learn further details about how you should proceed.  If you are curious about how payments work, please look at benefit payments.  Also note that the GI Bill will provide money for tutors as well!

For students new to UAF, you can also see our new student checklist for step-by-step instructions on what needs to be done prior to classes.  Before you apply, make sure to register for your educational benefits on VONAPP (Veterans Online Application Process). For all students, don't forget to submit your Certification Request form to Financial Aid. This must be done every semester to verify that your GI Bill benefits are used as you'd like them to be.

Please note: If you are unsure whether you have a GI Bill entitlement, you should stop by the Veterans Resource Center in Eielson 111 or contact the VA in Muskogee, Oklahoma at (888) GI-BILL-1 [888-442-4551]; you may also visit for clarification of programs.

Semester certification

Each semester that you want to use your benefits, you must submit the Certification Request form

mailed, faxed, e-mailed or hand delivered to the UAF Financial Aid office.

Once your form is received, the Financial Aid Office will submit your certification to the Veterans’ Regional Office for processing.  

To be certified you must meet the following requirements:

  1. Be admitted to a degree or certificate program.
  2. Take classes that meet your degree program requirements.
  3. Have a Certificate of Eligibility from the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs or other proof of eligibility. (Requirements may vary. Please contact the VA Coordinator if you have questions.) 
Back to Top