Housing and dining

We highly recommend that all new international students live on campus, since adjusting to life and school in a new location and a new country can be challenging. By choosing to stay on campus, housing will be one less thing to worry about.

Students live in on-campus housing called residence halls, and most are required to purchase a meal plan. A meal plan provides on-campus dining, and the number of meals included in each plan will depend on which plan you purchase.

Virtual tour: Moore-Bartlett-Skarland housing complex

Virtual tour: Wood Center student union and dining

Students eating at the dining hall

Get good food at a reasonable price across campus. Meal plans are part of the room-and-board package for students living on campus, but you don't have to live on campus to get one.

Grab a snack or eat your fill! Wood Center offers dining options like Mongolian grill, homestyle cooking, deli sandwiches, gourmet pizza and pasta, soups, salad bar, sushi and hot breakfasts, served during the week.

The Moore-Bartlett-Skarland housing complex has a Subway sandwich shop in its Campus Cache convenience store. Or try the West Ridge Café in the Arctic Health Building. Enjoy Kaladi Brothers Coffee and some grab-and-go options from the coolers at M3 in the Murie Building. The Rasmuson Library 24-hour study area includes the Library Book & Brew, which is convenient for study sessions.

At the Community and Technical College downtown, Polar Perk has grab-and-go options plus coffee and pastries.

All locations accept cash, check, Munch Money, Bear Bucks and credit cards.


available at every meal

Soup and salad bar

one of the largest salad bars in Fairbanks

The Grill

made-to-order meat and meatless burgers

Deli sandwiches

gourmet breads and premium meats and cheeses


grab-and-go varieties made fresh

International cuisine

fare from around the world


fresh-out-of-the-oven vegetarian and meat pizzas made in front of you


roast chicken, meatloaf, carved beef, pasta, mashed potatoes, sautéed vegetables and stuffing

Sweet treats

pastries and other tasty temptations

You can buy a meal plan in two ways: as block meals or with Munch Money. Block meals offer the flexibility to select an entire meal or individual items from each of the available food stations. Munch Money may be used at all dining locations and most vending machines on campus.

Do I have to buy a meal plan?

Participation in the dining services program is required of all students living in university residence halls, with the exception of graduate students and residents of Sustainable Village.

How do I buy a meal plan?

Complete the Dining Services meal plan form email to uaf-dining@alaska.edu.

The cost of your meal plan can be added to your student account or paid for separately.

Changing or withdrawing from a meal plan

If you need to change your current meal plan to a different one, or withdraw from a plan, you should contact Dining Services right away to request the change. See the meal plan refund schedule for deadlines.

Munch Money is connected to your meal plan. The amount deposited into the account depends on which meal plan you pick. Munch Money can be spent at all on-campus dining locations and most vending machines on campus.

Bear Bucks can be spent on more than just food. You can spend them at the bookstore, Wood Center, in copy machines, even some places off campus.

The PolarExpress card is more than your official identification card. It's your library card and meal plan card. It s the key to your residence hall, labs and the Student Recreation Center. Use it to buy goods and services at university locations such as vending and copying machines. It gets you into student events and the health center. It also lets you ride the city bus for free and gives you discounts at various vendors throughout the Fairbanks area.

You don't have to renew your card as long as you're in active status, but there is a replacement fee for lost or stolen cards. You'll get your PolarExpress card at New Student Orientation, or you can pick it up from the Bursar's Office on the first floor of Signers' Hall.

*Exactly what access and privileges the cards gets you depends, of course, on things like your affiliation and the fees you've paid.

PolarExpress contact information

Bursar’s Office
First floor Signers’ Hall

Dining contact information

Dining Services
Wood Center, room 101M

The center provides general health care, health education, counseling, alcohol abuse evaluation and coordination of student health insurance. The center is conveniently located across from the Wood Center.

Please fill out the health inventory to help us provide you with the best care. The more we know about your health, the better we ll be able to take care of you if you need medical assistance.

UAF advises all incoming students to be tested for tuberculosis and to have proof of immunization against tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis, polio, mumps, measles and rubella. Please send a copy of your immunization record or complete the the health inventory form.

Send the completed Health Inventory and Immunization Record with your housing and orientation materials. If you plan to live in university housing, you must have the immunizations specified with an asterisk (*). Information about other vaccines, especially for meningitis and hepatitis, is available at the health center.

Health center fee 
All international students pay a health center fee. The fee entitles you to basic medical and counseling services at the UAF Student Health and Counseling Center on the Fairbanks campus. This fee is separate from your health insurance.

(for students living on campus)

  • Immunizations are current
  • Have proof of immunizations
  • Complete all sections of health inventory
  • Complete all sections of immunization record
  • Email forms in confidential envelope with housing forms

Disability Services 
Disability Services provides academic accommodations for students with documented disabilities as defined by the Americans With Disabilities Act Amendments Act. If you believe you have a disability and may need accommodations, contact the director of Disability Services in the Whitaker Building as soon as possible to determine what documentation is needed for academic accommodations on campus. For more information contact the Disability Services staff at 907-474-5655, 907-474-7600 (TTY) or uaf-disabilityservices@alaska.edu.

Living on campus

College is more than classes and exams. When you live on campus, you re part of the Residence Life community. You live together, learn from each other, share experiences, become friends. National research shows that students who live on campus have fewer worries, earn better grades and are more likely to complete a university degree.* * American Council on Education, 2006 

  • Cable TV service
  • High-speed Internet connection
  • Free, on-site laundry facilities
  • Trained staff on call 24 hours a day
  • Always something to do: Residence Life offers 400+ activities a year

Plus, a post office, bank and health care services are all within walking distance. Contact Residence Life for more information about housing options for students with disabilities, students with families and nontraditional student housing.

Do you have to live on campus?
No. Some students choose to live off campus. Good places to look for rentals are the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner, Craigslist and bulletin boards around campus.

EDGE: Education, Development, Growth and Experience
Your first year at UAF is the most important year of your college experience. 

  • EDGE hall placement is required for all first-year students who live on campus and are 20 years old and younger.
  • The EDGE program is for learning, friendship, support and fun.
  • EDGE has study groups, tutoring, social and academic events, plus staff to help meet the needs of first-year students.
  • EDGE was designed by students, faculty and staff to prepare you for success in college and beyond!

Living on campus makes you smarter!
OK, not really. But first-year students in the EDGE program do graduate at a higher rate than students who do not participate in the EDGE program.

Residence life checklist

  • Apply for housing
  • Pay the $355 deposit
  • Submit your application by May 1 for best choice

Why do I have to pay $355?
The $355 deposit is required to apply for on-campus housing, which includes a $40 nonrefundable application fee and a $315 damage deposit. A damage deposit is an amount paid in advance that UAF keeps the entire time you have a signed housing agreement. If you do any damage to your room, it will be paid for out of that deposit. If there is no damage when you leave the room, you receive that $315 back.
Note: If you are denied a visa to study in the United States, please let the Residence Life Office know right away so UAF can refund your housing application fee and your damage deposit. This is one of the only situations where the application fee may be refundable.

Single-student housing
Early bird, night owl, rock star or jazz lover, no matter what your interests, UAF has a residence hall to meet your needs. There are three kinds of rooms:

  1. A double room is one room for two people (roommates).
  2. A single room is a smaller room for one person.
  3. A double-single is one room meant for two people but occupied by just one person.

Single and double-single rooms are assigned on a space-available basis, so you might not be able to get a room to yourself.

Family and graduate housing
Furnished housing for families and graduate students range in size from efficiency to three bedrooms. If you want to live with your unmarried partner, check requirements with Residence Life.

What about roommates?
Your housing application will help us figure out the best roommate for your style and personality. If you know with whom you would like to room (and who would like to room with you, too), make sure you both write one another s name on your application forms and turn them in around the same time.

The MBS Complex Moore, Bartlett and Skarland halls is a short walk from Wood Center and near the Reichardt Building on West Ridge. The Residence Life office and Hess Rec Center are here.

  • EDGE first-years: Moore and Skarland
  • Undergrads and grads: Bartlett

Wickersham, McIntosh, Nerland, Stevens and Lathrop halls are near the Student Recreation Complex, Wood Center and Rasmuson Library.

  • Sophomores to grads: McIntosh, Nerland, Stevens, Lathrop
  • Nontraditional (must meet class standing, GPA or age requirements): Wickersham

The Cutler Apartment Complex, near the Reichardt Building, is for students wanting the convenience of campus with the independence of apartment living.

  • Students with certain class standing, GPA or age requirements

Eileen Panigeo MacLean House s support and education programs help Alaska Native students and students from rural Alaska adjust to university life while still keeping in touch with friends and family back home.

  • Alaska Native undergrads
  • Undergrads from rural Alaska

Priority is given to Arctic Slope Regional Native Corp. students. Eileen House application is required. See forms insert. The Sustainable Village opened in fall 2012. The 16 students who live in the student-designed village become part of the research team investigating how to build the best, most responsible homes in the North.

  • Sophomores to grads

Available for year-long occupancy. Get a closer look at residence hall options

Apply early! Submit your application by May 1 to give you the best chance at the room of your choice. After June 30 we accept applications on a rolling, space-available basis.

If you have special housing needs due to a disability or medical condition, contact the coordinator of Disability Services at the Student Health and Counseling Center at 474-7043. Space and accommodation are limited. Visit the Residence Life website for more information about special housing accommodations.

Residence Life office
MBS Complex, main floor

Mandatory immunization policy
All residents of single-student housing are required to have specific immunizations. See the health inventory form or contact the Student Health and Counseling Center for more information at 474-7043.

Mailing things to yourself
You can mail packages to yourself before you arrive, either through the U.S. Postal Service or a private courier service.

U.S. Postal Service
If you already know your Post Office Box number, you can mail a package addressed to yourself at your P.O. Box number. Mail to the United States should be addressed like this:

Your Name P.O. Box 75XXXX Fairbanks, AK 99775 USA

If you do not have a P.O. Box number, you can mail a package to the university post office, where it will be held for you to pick up (for up to 10 days). Address such a package like this:

Your Name General Delivery Fairbanks, AK 99775 USA Hold for pickup

If you know the date you will pick up the package, you can also write "Hold for pickup on [the date]" or "Hold for pickup after [the date]." The university post office is open for package pickup from 10 a.m. 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Courier service (such as FedEx or UPS)
If you need to send packages not through the U.S. Postal Service but through a courier service such as FedEx or UPS, the Office of Residence Life will accept packages for you in their office in the Moore-Bartlett-Skarland Complex, where you can pick them up. For these packages, use this address:

Your Name,
Residence Hall Name,
Room number
732 Yukon Drive
Fairbanks, AK 99775

Cancellation of housing
If you need to cancel your housing application, let the Office of Residence Life know right away to avoid unnecessary charges. The residence hall application includes information on cancelation refund deadlines.

What is a double, single, or double-single room?

A double room is one room for two people (roommates); a single room is a smaller room for one person, and a double-single is one room meant for two people but occupied by only one person.

What do the rooms look like?

View campus housing options.

Can I get a single room?

Single and double-single rooms are assigned on a space-available basis, so you may not be able to get a room to yourself.

Can I request a roommate?

Yes, you can, but roommates are assigned on a space-available basis. If you know whom you would like to room with, make sure to write his/her name on your application form and the two of you should turn your applications in around the same time. If you would like a roommate who is a U.S. citizen, you may write that next to Special considerations.

Is it possible to live on campus with my partner (boyfriend / girlfriend)?

If interested in living in family housing with an unmarried partner, check requirements with Residence Life and ask about required documentation at 907-474-7247. Most co-ed housing is long-term, so it very difficult to get placed into this type of accommodation as an exchange student.

Why do I have to pay $355?

$355 is required for you to apply for on-campus housing. It includes a $315 damage deposit plus a $40 nonrefundable application fee. The deposit stays on file the entire time you have a signed agreement. UAF cannot accept wire transfers or bank-to-bank transfers for this fee. We can only accept credit cards, money orders, checks or cash. If you are paying by credit card, we recommend that you contact your credit card company to allow this charge as this may be your first overseas charge and the company may decline it .

Do I have to purchase a meal plan?

Participation in the dining services program is required of all students living in university residence halls, with the exception of graduate students and residents of Sustainable Village. 

Do I have to live on campus?

No. Many students live off campus in apartments or cabins, but UAF cannot recommend or assist you in securing off-campus housing.