You should apply three to four months before the semester in which you plan to enroll.
At the latest, your application for graduate admission with all supporting documentation,
transcripts, and test scores should be received six weeks prior to beginning classes.
The deadlines for admissions are:
- Fall semester: June 1st
- Spring semester: October 15th
- Summer semester: May 1st
- Applicants with a Bachelor of Security and Emergency Management (BSEM) degree from
UAF with a GPA higher than 3.25 are not required to complete an entrance exam for
- Students with a UAF BSEM degree and a GPA between 3.25 and 2.75 will be required to
submit results of the Watson-Glaser Critical Thinking Exam with a minimum score of
- Upon application, students without a BSEM degree from UAF and with a GPA between 4.0
and 2.75 will be required to submit results of the Watson-Glaser Critical Thinking
Exam with a minimum score of 20.
- Any student with a GPA lower than 2.75 will be required to submit results of the GRE
or GMAT for review.
- Students with a graduate degree from an accredited university may be admitted without
an entrance exam.
Contact the Graduate Advisor, Angel Buchanan, for advice.
For complete application instructions and the online application form, visit the UAF Admissions Page.
Students without a background in homeland security or emergency management will be
required to take HSEM F301-Principles of Emergency Management and Homeland Security before beginning the required MSDM coursework. HSEM F301 will not count toward the
MSDM program requirements.
Students without a BSEM degree from UAF will be required to take HSEM F412-Emergency Planning and Preparedness prior to taking HSEM F605-Community Planning. In this case, HSEM F412 may be counted as an elective in the MSDM program.