Certified Food Protection Manager Course

Certified Food Protection Manager Training

Foodborne illnesses cost billions of dollars a year. In 2012, there were 182 reported illnesses in Alaska due to food borne illness. Improper handling of food in restaurants casued about half of the reported outbreaks.

Food Safety practices in Alaska's foodservice industries has a huge effect on both the economy and the health of the state. Alaska Cooperative Extension has been offering training for food safety managers throughout the state by distance delivery.

Alaska regulations require food establishments to have at least one Certified Food Protection Manager (CFPM) on staff. Check out the Alaska Division of Environmental Health websited for more information.


If you work in the Municipality of Anchorage, please contact them to verify their requirements.

Certified food protection manager trainings are offered every other month in Fairbanks and Palmer and by videoconference in various locations around the state.

The food safety workshops, hosted by the UAF Cooperative Extension Service, start at 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. State regulations require that all food establishments have at least one certified food protection manager on staff. The manager ensures compliance with food safety regulations.

Palmer Extension agent, Julie Cascio, and Marsha Munsell of Fairbanks are the instructors. Registration is available online two to four weeks prior to each class at http://bit.ly/CFPM0117. Registered participants receive a study guide and class locations. The $200 fee includes one certification exam.

For more information contact:

Julie Cascio at (907)745-3677, jmcascio@alaska.edu

Melissa Clampitt at (907) 745-3551, mrclampitt@alaska.edu

Food Worker Card

Anyone who works with unpackaged foods, potentially hazardous food or food-contact surfaces needs a food worker card. This includes chefs, cooks, servers, bartenders, meat cutters, food counter workers, dishwashers, etc. who work anywhere in the state.

Food workers in the Municipality of Anchorage (MOA) need a card issued by the MOA. For those who work in other areas of the state, learn more at the Alaska Division of Environmental Health website: http://dec.alaska.gov/eh/fss/fwc_home.html

Food Safety Information:

Check out the information on food safety offered by the USDA:


Back to Top