Cooperative Extension Service News Releases
Pesticide training scheduled in Alaska communities
March 9, 2018
Certified pesticide applicator training will take place April 3-5 in communities across Alaska.
The training will be offered by videoconference in Fairbanks, Anchorage, Delta Junction, Palmer, Soldotna, Kodiak, Juneau, Sitka and other communities as requested. Classes will meet from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. with an exam scheduled after the training.
Palmer Extension series begins with birch tapping
March 8, 2018
The Palmer Cooperative Extension office will host free classes on the third Thursday of every month, beginning with birch tapping basics on March 15.
Palmer Extension agent Julie Cascio will talk about how and when to tap birch trees, the nutrients in sap, ways to use sap, and the principles of making birch syrup. This class and others in the Third Thursdays with Extension series will meet at 6 p.m. in Room 208 of Kerttula Hall at the Matanuska Experiment Farm and Extension Center, 1519 S. Georgeson Drive.
Community classes offered in Delta Junction
March 1, 2018
Delta Junction residents may take free mini community classes in March on everything from birch tapping and fermentation to growing giant vegetables.
As part of Extension Month in Delta Junction, two to four classes will be offered each week from March 7-28. Most classes will run from one to three hours. A tentative schedule includes the following classes:
- Broken Pottery/Mosaic Stepping Stone or Bird Bath, 6-8 p.m. March 7
- Projects with Willow, 6-8 p.m. March 8
- Salves and Tinctures, 1-2 p.m. and 6-7 p.m. March 13
- Fermentation, 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. March 16
- Birch Tapping, 10 a.m.-noon March 20
- High Tunnel Management, 6-8 p.m. March 21
- Vegetable Storage in Root Cellars, 9 -10 a.m. March 22
- Garden Tool Sharpening and Care, 10-11 a.m., March 22
- Organic Practices Q&A, 1-2:30 p.m. March 22
- Strategies for Growing a Highly Productive, Intensive, Small-Space Garden, 6-7 p.m. March 28
- Growing Giant Vegetables, 7:15 -8:15 p.m. March 28
- Dollars and Cents: Making Sense of Your Farm Accounting and Farm Taxes, time and date TBA
Registration opens for master gardener conference
Registration is open for the Statewide Master Gardener Conference, scheduled for March 24 in Fairbanks.
The conference is open to all gardeners or prospective gardeners who are looking forward to spring planting. Master Gardeners of the Tanana Valley will host the all-day event at Pike’s Waterfront Lodge.
Pesticide applicator training offered in Anchorage
February 27, 2018
Continuing education will be offered to certified pesticide applicators during a March 15 workshop at the University of Alaska Anchorage.
The annual Certified Pesticide Applicator Workshop will run from 8 a.m. to 5:15 p.m. at Gorsuch Commons, 3700 Sharon Gagnon Lane. Participants receive 7.5 continuing education units toward their recertification. Presentations by industry and Extension educators will cover nursery tree care, landscape and turf management topics, pest management, new products and research developments.