Research Full Professor
Institute of Marine Science
PO Box 475
Moss Landing, CA 95039
Beck, E., W. Kirkwood, D. Caress, T. Berk, P. Mahacek, K. Brashem, J. Acain, V. Reddy C. Kitts, J. Skutnik, C. G. Wheat. (2009). "SeaWASP: A small waterplane area twin hull autonomous platform for shallow water mapping". Mar. Tech. Soc. J. 43(1):6-12.
Solomon, E. A., M. Kastner, C. G. Wheat, H. Jannasch, G. Robertson, E. E. Davis, and J. D. Morris. (2009). "Long-term hydrogeochemical records in the oceanic basement and forearc prism at the Costa Rica subduction zone". Earth Planet. Sci. Lett.. 282:240-251.
Bode, S., M. Buatier, M. Steinmann, T. Adatte, and C.G. Wheat. (2008). "Characterization of metalliferous sediment from a low-temperature hydrothermal environment on the Eastern Flank of the East Pacific Ridge". Mar. Geo.. 250:128-141.
Wheat, C. G. P. Fryer, A. T. Fisher, S. Hulme, H. Jannasch, M. J. Mottl, K. Becker. (2008). "Borehole observations of fluid flow from South Chanorro Seamount, an active serpentinite mud volcano in the Mariana forearc". Earth, Planet. Sci. Lett. 267:401-409.
Wheat, C. G., and A. T. Fisher. (2008). "Massive, low-temperature hydrothermal flow
from a basaltic outcrop on 23 Ma seafloor of the Cocos Plate: Chemical constraints
and implications". Geochem. Geophys. Geosyst.. 9(Q12O14)
- low- and high-temperature geochemistry
- borehole fluid samplers
- undersea instrumentation
Current Research Projects
- Studies of deep-sourced mud volcanism in the Mariana Forearc: A DSL 120, Jason ROV, and coring program
- The thermal state of 20-25 Ma lithosphere subducting at the Costa Rica Margin, implications for hydrogeology, fluxes, and the seismogenic zone
- Long Term Continuous Monitoring of Pressure, Fluid Chemistry, and Hydrology in Instrumented Boreholes at the Coast Rica Subduction Zone
- Towards quantifying elemental fluxes and fluid origins from margins using novel submarine instrumentation
- Sampling and Initial Characterization of Hydrothermal Fluids, Deposits, Microfauna, and Megafauna at Vent Fields along the Eastern Lau Spreading Center
- The hydrogeological architecture of basaltic ocean crust: CORK experiments for the initial IODP expedition on the flank of the Juan de Fuca Ridge
- Determining the Limits to Life in Submarine Hydrothermal Systems: Active Sulfide Deposits as Natural Laboratories
- Regional Coord, WC & PRURC, California Office
- Adjunct Scientist, Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute
- Affiliate Graduate Faculty, University of Hawaii