Research in the Drew lab focuses on three aspects of hibernation biology. The first
involves mechanisms of intrinsic neuroprotective properties of Arctic ground squirrel
brain in the hibernating and euthermic state. The second involves mechanisms and cognitive
significance of synaptic remodeling observed during hibernation torpor and arousal.
The third involves central nervous system regulation of metabolic suppression in hibernation
and translating this knowledge for neurocritical care.
- Bhowmick S, Moore JT, Kirschner DL, Curry MC, Westbrook EG, Rasley BT, DrewKL. Acidotoxicity via ASIC1a Mediates Cell Death during Oxygen Glucose Deprivation and Abolishes Excitotoxicity. ACS Chem Neurosci. 2017 Jun 21;8(6):1204-1212. doi: 10.1021/acschemneuro.6b00355. Epub 2017 Mar 1. PubMed PMID: 28117962.
- Bhowmick S, Moore JT, Kirschner DL, Drew KL, Arctic ground squirrel hippocampus tolerates oxygen glucose deprivation independent of hibernaotin season even when not hibernating after ATP depletion, acidosis and glutamate efflux. J Neurochem. 2017 Jul;142(1):160-170. doi: 10.1111/jnc.13996. Epub 2017 May 24. PubMed PMID: 28222226; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5479730.
- Drew KL, Rice SA, Frare C, Metabolic pools of neural signaling molecules may modulate energy balance in hibernation, Neurochemical Research, Neurochem Res. 2017 Jan;42(1):141-150. doi: 10.1007/s11064-016-2109-4. Epub 2016 Nov 23
- Bailey IR, Laughlin B, Moore LA, Bogren LK, Barati Z, Drew KL, Optimization of thermolytic response to A1 adenosine receptor agonists in rats. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2017 Sep;362(3):424-430.
- Bhowmick, S and Drew KL, Arctic Ground Squirrel resist peroxynitrite-mediated cell death in response to oxygen glucose deprivation, Free Radic Biol Med., 2017 Dec;113:203-211
- Laughlin B, Bailey I, Rice S, Barati Z, Bogren L, Drew K. Precise control of target temperature using N6-cyclohexyladenosine and real time control of surface temperature, Therapeutic hypothermia and temperature management. 2018 Feb 26.
- B.S. 1981, University of Alaska Fairbanks (Psychology)
- Ph.D. 1987, Albany Medical College (Pharmacology)
- 1987-1990 Post-doctoral Fellow, Pharmacology Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
- Dennis Demmert Award 2005
- Usebelli Teaching Award 2006
- Sven O.E. Ebbesson Neuroscience Award 2006
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
Murie Building, Rm 223F
University of Alaska Fairbanks
Fairbanks, AK 99775-7000