Accused Students

Questions from Accused Students

Q. What penalty will I get if I violate the Student Code of Conduct?

A. The sanction imposed depends upon the violation, the severity of the offense, the impact of the violation on the complainant party, and the circumstances of the particular case. A list of possible sanctions can be found in the Student Code of Conduct under P.09.02.050 "Disciplinary Sanctions and Reinstatement of University Benefits."

Q. Will my parents find out?

A. Disciplinary files are considered part of your educational record and cannot be disclosed without your consent. Your parents will know only what you choose to reveal to them. If you would like your parents or some other party to have access to information about your case, you must grant the University written permission to release that information. You can find that release authorization form here.

Q. Will the charges appear on my transcript?

A. If you are suspended or expelled, that sanction will be noted on your transcript. A suspension is noted only during the suspension period; Once the suspension has been served, the notation will be removed from your transcript. Expulsions are permanently noted on the transcript except in cases where clemency has been granted. 

Q. What Happens if I'm charged with a Conduct violation that's also a criminal or civil offense?

A. The University conduct system is entirely separate from the criminal and civil justice systems. Conduct proceedings may occur before or even during the resolution of a criminal or civil case. The resolution of a case in civil or criminal court has no bearing on the University's conduct process.

Q. Do I need a lawyer?

A. Conduct proceedings do not follow the same criminal or civil procedures used in a court of law. Most cases can be resolved without lawyers. You may hire an attorney at your own expense, if you choose, but it is not required. If you are charged with a violation of the Student Code of Conduct that is also a criminal offense, you may find it helpful to seek the services of an attorney. However, your attorney cannot speak for you at the Conduct proceeding; he or she can only accompany you as a support person.

Q. What is an Interim Suspension?

A. When a student is alleged to have violated the Student Code of Conduct and poses a potential threat to him or herself, to others, or to property, an Interim Suspension may be implemented. A student under Interim Suspension is immediately removed from campus. He or she may not attend classes, reside in the residence halls, or otherwise be present on University property until the matter has been resolved.


Back to Top