Journal Vouchers (JV)
To process current accounting entries, allocations and corrections for which other means of entry into the financial system are not available. Must be approved by a financial manager, Dean or Director. The same individual cannot both prepare and approve the form. Please see the following documents for assistance in completing the JV:
Preparation (PDF version)
- FY: Enter Current Fiscal Year
- Document #: Number will be assigned by system at entry.
- Date: Journal Voucher entered into system.
- Document Total: Sum of debits and credits - if more than one page, sum all pages on page one.
- Page: __ of __ - if more than one page, sum all pages on page one.
- Authorized by: Coordinating department signature.
- Journal Voucher Type: JV01 for most journal vouchers.
- Fund: Fund code to be debited or credited. Enter only if different than default.
- Organization: Org Code to be debited or credited.
- Account: Select the appropriate account to be used. If assistance is needed go to www.uaf.edu/finsvcs/ and click on Account Codes in left column.
- Program: Use Program Code only if a mismatch has occurred.
- Activity: Use Activity Code only if work order activity number has been assigned.
- Amount: The amount to be debited or credited.
- D/C: The debit or credit indicator.
- Description: From Banner, list document number, vendor and date if posted to system.
- Explanation: Provide explanation detailing the reason for the journal voucher. Explain why you are doing the JV, not what you are doing. Answer the question, is it reasonable, allowable and applicable to the restricted or unrestricted fund. Unacceptable explanations would include: No fiscal officer available, reconciler out sick missed the reconciliation deadline and move to correct org/fund.
- Prepared by: Full name and date prepared, if eligible type name and sign.
- Approved by: Signature of person that has the authority to sign for department and date approved.
- If greater than 60 days after the end of the month when the transaction posted to Banner, the PI needs to sign the JV and cost memo.
- Dept. Name and Phone: Dept name and phone number of the contact person
- Financial Services Use Only.
Process (PDF version)
This documentation only provides information regarding general journal vouchers. These documents are initiated using the University of Alaska Journal Voucher form. These document types of JV01 journal types in Banner Finance.
The documentation required for journal vouches should be a copy of the Banner screen that shows where the transaction has occurred. The explanation on the journal voucher must clearly explain the nature of the journal voucher transaction. Additional information will be required for journal vouchers that have not been moved within the 60 day time frame, for example a copy of the TA, PO or requisition showing the correct accounting.
Journal vouchers must be signed by the preparer and the supervisor. Additional coordinating/authorizing signatures are required if the journal voucher involves an org from another department or campus. An attached email message approving the charge is acceptable in lieu of signature. Routine journal vouchers, such as the monthly Bookstore journal voucher, are processed without coordinating signatures. Journal vouchers prepared between restricted funds that are over 60 days from the end of the month that the transaction posted to Banner must have PI signature/approval.
Each account code has a normal balance default code on the account code table. Assets and expenditure accounts normally have debit balances. Liabilities and revenue accounts normally have credit balances.
A JV requires that the preparer indicate if an entry is a D or a C. A transaction in an expense account with a C indicator will have a (-) sign in the Banner detail transaction activity because a credit will decrease expenditures. A transaction in a revenue account with a D indicator will have a (-) sign in the Banner detail transaction activity, because a debit will decrease revenue.
Likewise, a transaction in an expense account with a D indicator will have a (+) sign in the Banner detail transaction activity because a debit increases expenditures. A transaction in a revenue account with a C indicator will have a (+) sign in the detail transaction activity, because a credit increases revenue.
Michael Szidloski, UAF Office of Finance & Accounting, 474-1917, email@example.com