Travel is a necessary component for the University's success and we strive to make it as smooth of a process as possible. Please use this site as a resource for all UAF travel questions and be sure to contact our office for additional information or assistance.

For information regarding foreign travel restrictions and alerts, please visit the Risk Management website. 

UAF Travel Reimbursement and Audit Processes

UAF Travel Approval Authority

UAF Self Travel Authorization

Step-by-Step Travel Process

Use the following as a quick-reference guide to traveling for University purposes. Your unit may have additional requirements, so check with your Travel Coordinator before making travel arrangements.

Before Travel

  1. Verify your TEM profile for accuracy. First-time users click HERE.
  2. Complete a paper TA form (basic / detailedOR enter travel information in TEM (depending on your Unit's procedure). 
  3. Review and apply the appropriate per-diem rates to your travel authorization.
  4. Upon approval, begin working with your Travel Coordinator to book airfare, hotel, and car rental (if necessary).
  5. Review the guidelines for Personal Travel Combined with Business, if applicable.

After Travel

  1. Submit original receipts to your Travel Coordinator.
  2. If your Unit requires a paper Travel Expense Report (TER), complete and submit with receipts to your Travel Coordinator.
  3. Reimbursement may be in the form of check payment or direct deposit, depending on your preference.

Note: If completing your own expense report in TEM, use the attachment feature for all backup. AT and ER detailed reports are still required in backup.

Risk Management Links:

Travel Accident - How to prepare and what to do in the event of an accident during travel status
Acknowledgement of Risk and Release of Liability for Family / Friend Accompaniment - The family member or friend must sign this release if accompanying a UA traveler
Student Accident/Travel - What to do in the event of an accident during a UA student's travel
Auto Liability
Auto Physical Damage
Volunteer Services and Liability 

International Travel Considerations:

UAF faculty, researchers, and staff often travel internationally in conjunction with their University responsibilities. In recent years, there has been increased government concern regarding University research activities and national security. It is important that the UAF community demonstrate awareness of foreign travel risks when traveling on behalf of the institution.

Travelers are responsible for knowing how export controls apply when taking any equipment, devices (including laptops), software, or technical data outside of the U.S. In most situations, licensing is not required to take UAF owned items abroad under the TMP (“tools of trade”) license exception. However, these items must remain under the traveler’s effective control during the trip.  Additionally, information and data taken on laptops, tablets, or other storage devices must qualify as “public domain.”  Other items, such as research samples, devices, systems, or software originally designed for military or space applications (such as some cameras with a focal plane array or a high end GPS), technology associated with strong encryption, and controlled biological agents, will not qualify for this exception and must be covered under an approved export license from the relevant regulatory agency.

If U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officials suspect that a regulated item or defense article has been or will be exported without a license, they may examine files and software on laptop computers as well as baggage. In addition, inspectors in other countries may detain and copy hard drives. Prior to leaving the U.S., international travelers are encouraged back up their hard-drives and remove all non-essential data from their devices. Some departments and institutes have loaner laptops to use for international travel.

Travelers should not take ANY of the following without first obtaining specific advice:

  • Data or information received under an obligation of confidentiality, such as a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA).
  • Devices, equipment, or computer software received with restrictions on export to foreign countries or access by foreign nationals.
  • Devices, systems, or software specifically designed or modified for military or space applications (even if using these items in an academic research setting).

If you are planning to travel outside of the United States please visit the following sites related to traveling on restricted funds and regulations regarding foreign travel with export controlled goods.

Office of Grants and Contracts Administration
    Contact OGCA for information regarding traveling on restricted funds
Office of Research Integrity
    Contact OFI for additional information regarding Export Control regulations

Back to Top