Legacy Travel Processes


Information about travel processing methods used prior to Concur (Paper TA/TER forms or TEM) 

**Subscribe/post to Travel Listserve**
Receive updates and share information with the UAF Travel community

 Please submit all paper TERs to uaf-travel-ofa@alaska.edu. Please include the TER number and traveler's name in the subject line. 



UAF Travel Approval Authority - Establishes by position those authorized to approve out-of-state and international travel, delegated by Chancellor Daniel White on 02/02/2018.

UAF Self Travel Authorization - Establishes individuals authorized to approve their own in-state and out-of-state travel (international travel requires supervisor approval), delegated by Chancellor Daniel White on 02/02/2018.

Travel Authorization Forms (PDF) - In StateOut of State and International

Car Rental Information Sheet - Quick "cheat sheet" with car rental abbreviations and company information. See Car Rental for more detailed guidance.

Mariott Discount Flyer - How to reserve a Mariott room using the UAF discount code.

State of Alaska Tax Exempt Entity memo - is to be used when making paying for lodging on the ProCard in Alaska.

TRIP_FINAL_Memo_Signed - This memo addresses the expanded capability of the Department ProCard effective July 1st 2015.

Travel Authorization Forms (PDF) - In StateOut of State and International

Traveler Profile Form - Quickly gather pertinent traveler information and keep on file for future use

Travel Tools Workbook - Excel templates for tracking travel, Easy Biz mileage, AKAir credits, and Easy Bix wallet funds

Example of Group Travel - Template to be used for obtaining expense report signatures for group travel

Multiple Page Travel Expense Report - Template to be used for completing a paper TER which requires more than one page of travel information

Car Mileage Reimbursement Form (After January 1, 2018)

Car Mileage Reimbursement Form (After January 1, 2019)

Travel Components

Please contact your travel coordinator for specific department policies on how to initiate a travel request.

For travel processed outside of TEM

The TA is the official approval form for documentation of all estimated costs associated with a specific trip to meet federal income tax, and internal reporting requirements, encumbrance of funds, expected travel dates and approval of related advances.The TA must be completed if travel includes any of the following: airfare, lodging, transportation rental costs, or meals and incidental per diem.

A TA must be completed, approved and dated by the appropriate individuals before any financial commitment of university resources is made and before travel begins, regardless of the method of payment (corporate travel card or personal funds) or the source of reimbursement (departmental funds, grants, or third party reimbursements). Failure to do so may be cause for disallowance; written justification and corrective action by the traveler and the traveler’s department head is required. Completing a Travel Authorization Form does NOT enroll an individual in any University of Alaska insurance coverage


Commercial air carriers shall be utilized for long distance individual travel, unless there is a compelling reason for use of another mode of travel, such as medical necessity, less costly charter flights, or inadequate time schedules.

The use of chartered aircraft may be authorized when no scheduled transportation is available to meet the travel requirements and the aircraft chartered has a valid Air Taxi Certificate and the required insurance. The use of a charter must go through the Procurement Office.

The university will only reimburse for coach class tickets. Any additional cost for business or first class airline tickets must be paid by the traveler.

Federally funded travel must comply with 49 U.S.C. 40118, commonly referred to as the “Fly America Act”, to use U.S. flag air carrier service for all air travel. The requirements are further described in 41 CFR301-10.131 – 10.143. Use of a foreign air-carrier for federally funded travel requires specific documentation and approval by the Travel Administrator. The university supports the Fly America Act by requiring all travelers using federal funding to be on an American air carrier into and out of the United States regardless of cost and/or travel times. In cases where there are no direct flights by an American carrier, travelers must fly to a gateway city for connecting flights to their final destination. The university supports the use of American carriers on all legs of the trip where American carriers are available. Amendments to, or agreements with, the “Fly America Act”, such as the “Open Skies Agreements”, will be followed.

Request to Use Foreign Flag Carrier

Fly America and Open Skies Agreement Guidelines  

Business Airfare Comparison Travel Tip 

Accounting for and Applying Airfare Credits


Per-diem is the daily rate of payment to a traveler in lieu of reimbursement for actual costs of subsistence expenses including lodging and/or meals, tips and other incidental expenses incurred while traveling. Per-diem is based on place of destination, regardless of start of transit time, and is based on a 24-hour day clock regardless of time zones.   Payments are not to exceed two halves per day.

The Alaska meals and incidentals rate shall be $60.00 for Anchorage, Fairbanks, Juneau and their surrounding communities. This rate is set by the UA President.

Domestic travel (travel within the 50 states and the District of Columbia) meals and incidental rates are outlined in the the published Per Diem Rates (listed below).

International travel (effective September 1st, 2017) meals and incidental rates are found at the State Department website.

TEM users will need to override the existing international rates that default in TEM to actual rates that align with the dates of travel. Please use the guidance for how to enter international per diem rates as "Meals-Actual" in TEM.

TEM Meals-Actual

For the day travel begins or ends: The traveler shall be allowed one-half (1/2) of the basic meal and incidental expense (M&IE) allowance for each half-day period during which the traveler was on travel status. The half-day periods are as follows:

12:00AM TO 11:59AM (Midnight to Noon)

12:00PM TO 11:59PM (Noon to Midnight)

October 1, 2018 - September 30, 2019
October 1, 2017 - September 30, 2018
      International travel (effective September 1st, 2017) meals and incidental rates are found at the U.S. Department of State website.


The University of Alaska reimburses for the actual cost of lodging up to 150% of the standard lodging rate. A business justification is required if lodging exceeds 150% of the standard lodging rate.

Per Diem rates are set by the Federal fiscal year, effective October 1 each year. Monthly lodging allowance are found at Per Diem Rates Look-Up for the contiguous United States (“CONUS Rates”).

Rates for Alaska, Hawaii, U.S. Territories and Possessions (“OCONUS Rates”) are set by the Department of Defense.

Rates for foreign countries are set by the State Department

University Discounted Rates

NANA Management has given the University a discount code to use for select Marriott hotels in the Fairbanks and Anchorage area. Discount can be used for business or personal stays. Please see the flyer from NANA for more information.


A standard sized car (mid-size) is to be rented or the business justification for a larger class vehicle must be attached to the expense report.

The cost of vehicle insurance will not be paid or reimbursed to university employees for automobile rentals in the United States as the university self-insures this risk. However, an exception is made for insurance purchased for rental vans or other unusually high value vehicles. Vehicle insurance should always be purchased for rentals by university employees in foreign countries, except for Canada, who accepts the university’s self-insurance. (Note: In the case of university-owned vehicles in a foreign country, the purchase of local admitted insurance is always required.)

Car Rental Pricing Agreements

Car Rental Information Sheet

For additional information including car rental contracts, addendums and pricing information, please refer to the UAF Procurement Travel Card website and look for Car Rental Information.


Reimbursement for vehicle transportation expense shall be limited to the lower of commercial airfare or the standard vehicle mileage rate allowable for IRS purposes.   When mileage rates are claimed, they cover all the traveler transportation costs. Fuel costs are not to be claimed in addition to the standard mileage rate.

Car Mileage Reimbursement Form (After January 1, 2018)

Car Mileage Reimbursement Form (After January 1, 2019)

UAF travel uses the State of Alaska's mileage rates for privately owned airplanes, snowmobiles and boats SOA Privately Owned Vehicle Rates


The TER is the official document used by the traveler and the department to approve actual travel costs and travel dates associated with an authorized trip and should be filed with the travel office within 15 days of completion of a trip.

A TER is required for all travel conducted under a Travel Authorization Form, including travel for which all expenses are paid directly by the university.

Travel expenses shall be reimbursed only upon completion of a Travel Expense Report that is approved by the individual requesting reimbursement and the supervisor or supervisor's designee, or otherwise approved by the Travel Administrator. Foreign receipts must be itemized by type of expense in English. Currency exchange rates must be provided for transactions not converted to or reported in U.S. dollars by the vendor, charge card company, or bank. Currency exchange rates must be attached to the expense report when submitted.

Travel Expense Report

Multiple Page Travel Expense Report

XE Currency Converter


When personal travel via airlines is being mixed with business travel, a cost comparison itinerary showing the most direct routes and/or efficient modes must be attached to the expense report . Failure to secure a cost comparison prior to travel, may result in reimbursements being disallowed.   Personal days must be identified on the Travel Authorization form, and properly reported as leave, if appropriate.

Payment arrangements for the personal portion of the expenses should be made directly with the travel agency, airline or other vendor.   Costs applicable to the personal portion of travel should not be processed through the university's accounting records or by using a university payment means, such as a corporate charge card. University personnel should not be making personal, i.e. non-business, travel arrangements on behalf of a traveler.

Business Airfare Comparison Travel Tip