Getting Your SNN

International Students:

  1. To apply for your social security number you need to schedule an appointment with an advisor in International Student and Scholar Services. Before you make your appointment, you need to have a written employment offer letter in hand.  You will receive a letter that you must take to the Social Security office along with the completed social security application, your passport, I-94 and I-20.  A social security application will be provided to you during your meeting.
    •       Social Security Office
            Federal Building
            101 12th Ave
            Fairbanks, AK 99701

    •       To obtain your social security card application before your appointment with us, see this PDF.
    •       On Form SS-5, the section 3 box "Legal Alien Allowed to Work" should be marked.

  2. After your application is accepted by the Social Security Office, ask for a letter of receipt and a copy of the accepted application form. Bring the letter of receipt and the application copy to your hiring department so that your payroll record can be activated.