Immigration Documents

Student in F-1 Status

From I-20 Certificate Eligibility

Your Form I-20 Certificate of Eligibility is one of your most important immigration documents.  It shows that you are eligible to apply for a student (F-1) visa to come to the United States as a student and provides documentation of your student status while enrolled in your academic program.

During the international admissions process, we collect all documents necessary to issue your Form I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility). Once you are admitted and we have received your financial documentation and a copy of your passport identification page, International Programs & Initiatives will generate the I-20.  The documents will be forwarded for shipping. That process can take up to 7-10 business days once all documentation has been received. Holidays, incomplete and/or incorrect documents can delay this process.  

I-20s for the Fall semester cannot be issued before the preceding March 1; I-20s for the Spring semester cannot be issued before the preceding October 1.

You will need the information printed on your I-20 to pay your SEVIS fee and schedule your visa interview with the U.S. Embassy or Consulate (special instructions for Canadian students) as well as to enter the U.S..  

If you receive I-20s from different universities, you must apply for the F-1 visa using the I-20 for the school you wish to attend and must enter the U.S. with the same I-20.  Should you change your mind after you have applied for and received your student visa, before arriving in the U.S., you are required to obtain a new F-1 visa for the school you wish to attend.

PLEASE NOTE: We cannot scan and e-mail your I-20 to you, as this has been identified as a potential security risk by the U.S. government.

Your I-20 is extremely important - it's a document that you should save forever because you may need it to apply for future U.S. immigration benefits.

Students in J-1 Status

DS-2019 Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange

Once your application for UAF Exchange or Study Abroad has been processed by the International Programs and Initiatives Study Away staff, your DS-2019 ("Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitors") will be processed and shipped to you along with additional information, to include information about applying for your J-1 Student visa.

You will need the original DS-2019 for your visa interview and to enter the U.S.

You will not need the form DS-7002 (Training and Internship Placement Plan) as this form is only for J-1 Student Interns.

PLEASE NOTE: We cannot scan and e-mail your DS-2019 to you, as this has been identified as a potential security risk by the U.S. government.

You should keep this document forever due to the fact that there are special provisions relating to the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program, most notably the two-year home stay requirement if visitors receive direct government funding for their visit.  Determination on whether or not this applies is noted at the lower left part of your DS-2019. More information will be provided to you with your DS-2019.