Indoor Climbing Wall
New Floor is here!
We're excited to announce that our new climbing wall floor is ready for use!
- Why the new floor?
- To help mitigate injuries
- To improve climbing wall users' experience
- To meet industry standards
- Are the bench and cabinet coming back
- No. Placing heavy items on the floor will break down the foam and cause it to wear out prematurely
- Please use the cubbies right outside the climbing wall for storage
- The floor seems to hard to fall on. Why?
- There is a break-in period for the foam. It will get softer
- The floor is 12 inches of PU/memory foam and is designed to take falls
- Wall monitors are happy to show you how to land correctly when you fall
For more information and specs about the floor, check out Flashed.com
TruBlue Auto Belay Devices
Climbing Wall Safety Orientation Class
Required for ALL climbing wall participants!
We offer classes every Monday through Friday at 4 and 6 pm* during the Fall and Spring Semesters -- Call 474-5886 or 474-6027 to sign up! You can also register online at Mynookrec.
Cost is $10 per person. You must register in advance as Space is limited and classes fill up fast! Individuals must be 14 or older to become belay certified, but any age can be certified to climb.
Private certification classes can be scheduled by contacting Christian Mogensen at firstname.lastname@example.org. The cost for a private belay certification class is $20 per person.
Reminder that Climbing & Belay Certification cards expire after 1 year! Recerts are FREE. Bring in your old card to waive the cost of the class.
Re-certs are offered on a drop-in basis during wall monitor hours. No need to register!
*Orientation starts promptly. Late comers will be asked to sign up for a different class. The class is about an hour-and-a-half long.
But what if I just want to boulder? You still need to take the safety orientation class!
Lead climbing is currently ONLY allowed for students enrolled in one of our academic climbing classes during class. Lead climbing is not currently offered outside of these classes; however, we hope to offer a lead night program in the near future. Stay tuned!
High usage times
The wall is OPEN during these times and there are usually open ropes and ample bouldering area. This schedule is for during the school year.
- Tuesdays & Thursdays in the Spring and Fall semesters from 8am to 1pm our Rec Climbing Classes are in session.
- Monday through Friday at 4 and 6pm are Climbing Wall Safety Orientation Classes.
- During wall rentals, the renting party will have priority of the wall. These times will be scheduled, as best as possible, outside of busy climbing times.
- Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 4:30 to 6:30pm the Youth Climbing Program has practice.
SRC Day Use Prices
Free to SRC members with polar express card.
$7 for UAF Affiliated (Student, Staff and Faculty).
$10 for Alumni and Public.
Climbing shoes and harnesses are available at the SRC front desk. Climbing shoes are available to rent for free for the indoor and outdoor UAF climbing walls and $5 for use elsewhere.
Climbing Harnesses are available with Polar Express card and current UAF Climbing Wall Certification card.
Rental harnesses may only be used at the UAF climbing facilities.
All climbers MUST display a current belay certification card from harness or chalk bag to climb on the Indoor Wall.
If you do not have a current belay certification you will be asked to leave the climbing wall, and register for a climbing wall safety orientation class, or schedule a re-certification. Any continued violation will result in being banned from using the climbing wall.
Comps & Clinics
Be sure to keep an eye out for upcoming events and clinics!
Here is what we've got for regularly scheduled events:
Spring Boulder Comp
Boulderween blacklight bouldering
TR Throwdown top rope comp
For more information contact:
Outdoor Adventures Assistant Coordinator for Climbing Programs