This page provides all the information you need to keep up with the benefits (and
requirements) of being part of a SOM student organization. If you are new to your
SOM student organization - or new to a leadership role - you will find answers to
your questions and places to look for additional information.
How do I create a UAF student organization?
Any group or club can become an official UAF student organization by following the
process outlined by the Student Leadership and Involvement (SLI) department, which oversees
student organizations. Once a club is established, UAF SLI outlines expectations for all student clubs, as well as a re-recognition process that must be completed each semester.
What does it mean to be a SOM Student Organization?
Recognition as a School of Management (SOM) Student Organization provides many additional
benefits, both for the SOM Student Org (SSO) as a whole, and for individual members
within the group. However, in order to be recognized as a SOM Student Organization,
each SSO must also meet a few additional requirements.
Benefits for SOM Student Organizations
- Marketing Outlets
- Marketing Assistance
Requirements for SOM Student Organizations
- At least one officer must complete a SOM Student Organization Orientation Session
in the fall semester
- Report attendance at all organization meetings and events
- Provide a list of organization membership, including email addresses, when requested
- Submit an SSO Report twice per semester
- Submit at least three high-resolution photos of your group activities along with each SSO Report
- Work with SOM for liaison assistance with UA Executives at any SSO events
- Student organization president signs an agreement indicating the organization’s understanding
of these requirements and commitment to following them
For more details on each of these items, download the full document - What it Means to be a SOM Student Organization
SOM Student Organization Resources
Twice a semester your student organization is required to submit a Student Organization Report.
Report due dates for this semester are:
- Monday, February 24, 2020
- Monday, April 6, 2020
Each report must include a summary of recent activities and at least three high-resolution
Completion of all reports is required in order for the student organization to maintain
their status as a SOM Student Organization.
As you know, photos are part of every report you submit as a SOM student organization.
To make things more fun, check out these Photo Tips to find new ideas for taking photos with your group.
A major benefit of being a SOM Student Org is the opportunity to earn funds for your
The SOM Student Organization Purchasing Policy outlines the rules for using this funding, and the process for accessing the funds
in your SOM account.
You will need to fill out a SOM Purchase Request Form whenever you would like to make a purchase from your SOM account.
Many SOM student organizations offer or coordinate opportunities for students to travel
for conferences, competitions, or other activities.
Students or groups who are planning to travel using SOM account funds must follow
the policy and procedures outlined in these SOM Student Travel Instructions.
Everything you want to know about raising money through your student organization:
SOM Marketing Resources
Weekly eNews – Wednesdays
- Email content – including PDFs and/or JPGs – to Andrea by Wednesdays at 9am
SOM Event Calendar
- Send finished content – JPGs in 4:3 ratio (e.g. 1600x1200 pixels)
- SOM screens (Bunnell Hallway) – Email directly to Andrea
- Other campus screens – Send to firstname.lastname@example.org
Flyers or other Marketing Materials
- For help with design or printing, email Andrea or visit Bunnell 213E to submit your request
SOM is active on Facebook and many student organizations have active pages, as well.
Keep in mind that your social media sites should be just as professional as your website.
Social media is generally more informal, but don't post anything you wouldn't want
your parents (or SOM Dean Herrmann) to read.
Some quick tips for Facebook
- Create a group if it's just for members of your student organization
- Create a page if it's for everyone
- Make sure more than one person, preferably including your faculty advisor, is an administrator
More social media resources
Websites are a great way to distribute information to current and potential members.
The standard for UAF student organizations is to create a website through Google sites using your alaska.edu account.
Websites need to be regularly updated. If your website hasn't been updated in over
a year and has spelling and punctuation errors, your student organization will not
make a good impression. SOM reserves the right to remove links to your website from
our site if a student organization site is not being well-maintained.
Need some help to get started? Try this link for some quick tips:
Basics of Web Design: 14 tips for better pages
Below are a few standard SOM and UAF logos you can use in marketing materials for
Additional UAF logos are available on the UAF University Relations site. If you need alternate versions of SOM logos, contact Andrea.
Federal law requires the following statement to appear on all UAF print, multimedia
and web publications designed for external, off-campus distribution:
UA is an AA/EO employer and educational institution and prohibits illegal discrimination against
any individual: www.alaska.edu/nondiscrimination.