What is VITA?
Great Alaska Accounting People (GAAP) provides free income tax assistance, preparation, and electronic filing as part of the IRS Voluntary
Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program. Learn more on the IRS website.
We cannot prepare returns for: pension earners, military members, capital gains from sale of stock or other assets,
annuities, IRA distributions, social security income, rental or farm income, health
savings account deductions, general business credit, household employment taxes, Alternative
Minimum Tax, or self-employed taxpayers who don’t fit Schedule C-EZ.
When is VITA?
In 2019, VITA will be offered in Room 319 Bunnell Building on the following Saturdays from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- March 2
- March 23
- March 30
- April 6
- April 13
Please Note: GAAP reserves the right not to accept returns after 1 p.m. on these dates, depending
on how many taxpayers are waiting.
What do I need?
Bring all relevant tax documents including:
- Social security cards or copies of cards for you, your spouse, and all dependents
- Government-issued photo identification cards
- W-2 Forms (Wage and Tax Statement) from each employer
- All income information ( e.g. Forms 1099-INT, 1099-DIV, SSA-1099 or RRB-1099 and 1099R)
- Property tax and mortgage interest statements
- List of your medical expenses, interest, contributions, and miscellaneous expenses
(to itemize your deductions)
- Copies of last year’s tax return
- Child care payment information and name, address, and SSN/EIN of your child care provider
- Bank routing and account numbers for direct deposit
- If filing jointly, both you and your spouse must be present
Who should I contact with questions?
For more information, please contact GAAP at (907) 474-7121.