Frequently Asked Questions

Schedule changes

Any of the following changes to your classes or credits must be reported to UAF Financial Aid office immediately or your benefit payments could be delayed up to 45 days and/or result in an overpayment:

Changes in credit load that affect your training time: example – going from 12.0 credits (full-time) to 9.0 credits (3/4 time) or your classes end or start differently than before.   You do need to report when you add or drop a class because it will affect your payments!  Complete and return the Notification of add/drop form.

Wait listed classes: Wait listed classes do not reflect in your credit load until you are officially enrolled in the class. You are responsible for getting instructor approval and enrolling in the class through the Registrar's Office.

Called to Active Duty: If during the semester you are called to active duty, please notify the Registrar's Office to discuss the withdrawing of your courses and the possibility of filing an appeal for a reimbursement of tuition and/or fees and also noify the UAF Financial Aid office. Our office will need a copy of your orders to submit along with the change to the VA Regional Office.

Mitigating Circumstances: If you are required to drop/withdraw from a course during the semester for reasons beyond your control (i.e. financial, health, employer, childcare, etc.), you may not be required to pay the VA back the money you were paid for the course(s). Please notify they UAF Financial Aid office if mitigating circumstances apply to you or contact the VA Regional Office at (888) 442-4551.

Please note: UAF Financial Aid office does not accept responsibility for overpayments that could have been avoided had we been notified in a timely manner.

Concurrent Enrollment

If you are continuing your degree program at another school but taking classes at UAF, you will need to have your parent-school initiate a letter to UAF stating that they will accept classes/credits attempted at UAF. If you are in a UAF degree program taking classes at another institution, please notify the UAF Financial Aid office via a Veterans' Benefits Concurrent Enrollment form (PDF) so that a parent-school letter can be generated for the other school.

Change of major or place of training

If you have changed your major with UAF or have used your benefits at another school and are transferring to UAF, you are required to fill out a VA Change form (PDF). Please click on the link above to print this form, and submit the form in person to the UAF Financial Aid office.

Other frequently asked questions

Q: Why am I only certified for a certain amount of credits, but I am taking more than what is certified?
VA will only pay for the classes that fit in your degree program.

Q: Do I have to be a degree seeking student to receive VA benefits?
Yes, you do because VA wants to know that you are working towards a degree.  However, you can attend school for one semester as a non-declared degree seeking student as long as your courses are toward a specific degree program.

Q: How will I know if I am approved for VA?
VA will send a certificate of eligibility to the mailing address you have provided on the VA application.

Q: What happens if I get an incomplete (I) grade for one of my classes that I was certified for?
The grading policy at the University of Alaska Fairbanks states that an incomplete must be made up within one year or it will automatically be changed to an "F" grade. Because of this policy, the certifying official is not required to report this grade to the VA.

Q: What if I am considered overpaid?
You will need to call VA at 888-442-4551 to see why you are overpaid and call debt management at 800-827-0648 to set up a payment plan.

Q: What if I am not getting paid what I am suppose to get paid?
You can call the VA at 888-442-4551 or talk to the staff within the Veterans Resource Center in Eielson 111.

Q: If I have any questions about my payment or how many months of eligibility I have left who do I call?
You can call the VA at 888-442-4551 or talk to the staff within the Veterans Resource Center in Eielson 111.

Back to Top