2150 Koyukuk Drive
Photo by JR Ancheta, UAF University Relations
The five-story William A. O’Neill Resources Building opened in 1973. The 41,000-square-foot O’Neill Building was designed for offices and laboratories on three levels with mechanical services on the other two. A system of movable walls allows easy adaptation of the interior. O’Neill was dedicated May 17, 1975.
William O'Neill was a 1934 graduate of the Alaska Agricultural College and School of Mines and a member of the University of Alaska Board of Regents for 25 years, serving as president from 1970 to 1974. The University of Alaska Alumni Association honored him as Alumnus of the Year in 1968. O’Neill is credited with playing a major role in the development of the University of Alaska from a small, one-campus institution into the statewide system it is today and with making the alumni association a stronger, larger organization.