Visitors' guide: 2021 tours and attractions
Where do you go from here? Take a hike, or a tour or a class. You have 2,250 acres to explore on our Fairbanks campus, so there’s always something going on. So find an activity that suits you. The highlights below are a good place to start, and you’ll find lots of other events on our calendars.
It’s your life, your adventure, and it’s your university. Happy trails!
The 2,250-acre Fairbanks campus, located near the center of Alaska, offers limitless opportunities for activity and recreation. Fairbanks, Alaska's second largest city, sits on the banks of the Chena River in the heart of Alaska. Learn more about the Fairbanks area.
Virtual tour and admissions visits
Explore the Office of Admissions' virtual visit options, where you'll find the opportunity to connect with staff from our office, attend weekly information sessions, or take a virtual tour. Beginning March 2021, in-person campus visits are available with limited scheduling.
Discover millions of years of biodiversity and thousands of years of cultural traditions at one of Alaska’s premier visitor attractions. Please review safety measures prior to visiting.
- Phone: 907-474-7505
- Regular hours: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. (admissions sales/doors close at 5 p.m.), Wed.-Sun.
- Summer hours starting May 23: 9 a.m.-7 p.m. (admissions sales/doors close at 6 p.m.), daily.
Explore 8 acres of cultivated gardens, learn about current horticultural research and be inspired by plant life. Don't miss the popular Children's Garden boasting the largest hedge maze in Alaska. Visit our website and Facebook page for up to date information on tours and events.
Get up close and personal with reindeer and muskoxen, survivors from the Ice Age. Gift shop on site with items by Alaska artists.
- Web: Large Animal Research Station website
- Phone: 907-474-5724
- Summer hours:
- Gift shop: 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m., daily
- Tours: 10 a.m. and 2 p.m., daily
- Price: Tour tickets can be purchased in the gift shop. Please arrive 10-15 minutes prior
to start of the tour.
- Adults: $11
- Senior/military: $10
- Students: $7
- Kids 5 and under: Free
- COVID-19 precautions:
- Face coverings are required for unvaccinated people
- No individual may join a tour if they have been diagnosed or are displaying symptoms of Covid-19
- Please maintain social distancing from other visitors.
- Utilize hand sanitizer that is provided in gift shop and in tour area.
Summer shuttle tour
Explore the University of Alaska Fairbanks campus. Ride the UAF shuttles for free to the UA Museum of the North, Georgeson Botanical Garden and Robert G. White Large Animal Research Station.
- Summer hours starting May 24: 9 a.m.-5 p.m., M-F, through Sept. 3
- UAF Campus stops:
- Wood Center and Bookstore, top of each hour
- UA Museum of the North, :15 past
- Georgeson Botanical Garden, :30 past
- Robert G. White Large Animal Research Station, :45 past
- Downtown Fairbanks stops:
- UAF South Wood Center, top of each hour
- UAF North Wood Center, :10 past
- Morris Thompson Cultural and Visitors Center, :30 past
- Pioneer Park, :45 past
Summer Sessions and Lifelong Learning offers courses and hosts many events throughout the summer, including special guest lectures and concerts. For more information call 907-474-7021 or visit the Summer Sessions and Lifelong Learning website.
Go for a hike!
UAF’s trail system is great for hiking, biking or skiing.