Upward Bound Program
UAF receives an Upward Bound Program grant from the U.S. Department of Education that provides outreach educational services and activities for Alaska students. The purpose of Upward Bound is to provide fundamental support as participants prepare for postsecondary education. It serves high school students from families who meet income guidelines and in which neither of the parents hold a baccalaureate degree. Upward Bound has two components: an academic year program that assists participants in target high schools improve their academic performance, exposes them to postsecondary education opportunities and provides advising to help ensure graduation from high school and enrollment in postsecondary education; and a summer component held on the UAF campus, which provides 60 students with an intensive six-week program of course work, field trips and a variety of social and cultural activities.
All Upward Bound projects provide instruction in math, laboratory science, composition, literature and foreign language. Other services include:
- instruction in reading, writing, study skills and other subjects necessary for success in education beyond high school;
- academic, financial or personal counseling;
- exposure to academic programs and cultural events;
- tutorial services;
- mentoring programs;
- information on postsecondary educational opportunities;
- assistance in completing college entrance and financial aid applications; and
- assistance in preparing for college entrance exams.
For more information contact the Upward Bound Progam at (907) 474-5685, visit online at www.ub.uaf.edu or e-mail the program at email@example.com.