The RAHI application is currently closed and will open on January 1st, 2022. Applications will be due March 1st, 2022. We encourage you to get a head start on your application and apply as soon as it opens.
- Alaska Native or rural Alaskan
- High school junior or senior (students will attend RAHI after their junior or senior year of high school)
- 3.0 or higher cumulative GPA (a lower GPA does not disqualify you, but be sure you show us that you're ready for college-level coursework in your essays!)
- Ability to read at or above grade level
- Committed to earning a college degree
To get started:
- LEARN: Do your research. Learn about the different RAHI tracks. Start thinking about which courses you see yourself in. For descriptions, visit our course page.
- REFERENCES: Prime your references. You'll need two - one from your principal or counselor and one from a teacher. Let both references know that you're planning to apply to RAHI and that you'd appreciate their support. Make sure to tell them why you want to attend and answer any questions that they have.
- RESUME: Create a resume that showcases how awesome you are. Make sure to include any college courses you've taken along with the credits you've earned, any awards or honors you've received, and the names and dates of other academic or leadership programs you've attended. Also include any activities you are involved with either in school or out. This is your chance to shine! If you need a little help here, check out this example. You can find the template here. Note that this template is here in case you don't have a resume started already. You don't have to use it.
- ESSAYS: You knew it was coming... You'll need three essays to complete your application. Think
of this as a way to stand out from the crowd. We want to learn more about you, who
you are, what you're passionate about, and why you would benefit from RAHI. Show us!
- Write 1-2 paragraphs describing a book that you have read recently and why you enjoyed it.
- Write a 300-word essay explaining why you want to attend RAHI and why you should be accepted.
- Write a 300-word essay using one of the following prompts:
- Review RAHI’s course options. What course are you most interested in and why?
- Describe how you will use education to give back to your community.
- What does STEM mean to you personally and why are you interested in pursuing an education in a related field?
- Describe how you have demonstrated leadership skills, both in and out of school.
- BONUS: Talk to your counselor, principal, or teacher about taking the ACT or SAT. We don't require these test scores as part of your application, but they will help us determine which courses you are ready to take. In addition, most colleges require you to have taken the ACT or SAT to get in, so taking them now will help you check that box.