The Matanuska-Susitna/Copper River District Cooperative Extension Service Palmer office is part of the public service educational branch of the University of Alaska Fairbanks. Extension takes scientific information from the University and helps Alaskans apply that knowledge at home and on the job.
JUMP TO our hours & location.
Upcoming events & classes
In Palmer (208 Kerttula Hall, 1509 S Georgeson Dr):
- Using Pressure Canners
- August 7, 1 - 2 p.m.
- Locally grown food demos
- August 7, afternoon
- Smoking Fish
- August 9, 10:30 - 11:30 a.m., $5.
- Canning Fish in Jars
- August 9, 12:30 - 4:30 p.m., $15
In Glenallen (location to be determined)
- Dehydrating Food
- August 13, Noon - 1 p.m.
- Learn how to ferment vegetables.
- Fermenting Food
- August 13, 1 - 2 p.m.
- Learn how to ferment vegetables
- Canning Basics
- August 13 2 - 3 p.m.
- Learn to use the pressure canner and the water bath canner to process foods. Also discuss which foods can be processed by these methods
- Presser Canner Dial Gauge Testing
- August 13, 3:30 - 5:30 p.m.
Please call us at 907-745-3360 for more information about any of our upcoming classes and workshops or to register.
The Mat-Su/Copper River District Office at the Alaska State Fair!
Geocache at The Alaska State Fair daily. Your beginning coordinates are: 61⁰ 34.775′ W149⁰ 08.022′
- 8/11: Exhibit Preparation clinic, 3 p.m. CES Office
- 8/12: 4-H Building Clean Up, Alaska State Fair (time TBA)
- 8/18: Non perishable exhibit check in, 3-7 p.m. 4-H Building-Fairgrounds
- 8/19: Perishable exhibit check in, 3-7 p.m. 4-H Building-Fairgrounds
- 8/20: 4-H exhibit judging
- 8/25: 4-H Presentations & Fashion Revue, 5 p.m. (note time change) 4-H Building-Fairgrounds
- 8/26: 4-H Livestock check-in/weigh-in, 3-7 p.m. , Mt. McKinley Meats & Farm Exhibits Building
- 8/27-29: 4-H Livestock shows, Farm Exhibits Building
- 8/30: 4-H Jr. Market Livestock Auction, noon , Farm Exhibits Building
At the Alaska State Fair, Julie Cascio will be presenting demos in the Hoskins Building. The Hoskins Building demonstrations are hosted by the Mat-Su Council for Family and Community Education.
- August 21, 3:30 p.m.
- Super Power Veggies: Swiss Chard and Spinach (Winona Benson)
- August 25, 1:30 p.m.
- Oklahoma Bean Salsa Demo
- Basil Pesto Demo
- Anasazi Chili Demo
- August 26, 2:30 p.m.
- Enjoying Zucchini and Kale
- August 29, 2:30 p.m.
- Cole Slaw Demo
- Fermenting Vegetables Demo
Please visit our volunteer information page if you are a Master Gardener or 4-H family and are interested in volunteering at the Alaska State Fair.
Class Interest List
Are you are interested in any of our classes? Or don't see a class offered? Sign up on our interest list and let us know what class(es) you're interested in or would like to see offered. We will add your name to our E-mail list and will periodically send out notices of upcoming classes and events in the Mat-Su/Copper River District Area. See the Courses Offered section below for further details on classes we offer.
Inquiring minds want to know...
Need answers, ask Dr. Steve!
Have a question about your garden or what to grow? Need to know know what's wrong with your lawn and how to fix it? Does your chicken seem to be down in the dumps? We have just the person to help answer your questions. Call Dr. Steve at 907-745-3639 or by e-mail.
Soil Testing and Nutrient Recommendations
Our agent will review your soil test results and provide advise on how best to correct soil nutrient deficiencies. For further details on where and how to get your soil tested, click here.
Mat-Su Copper River District Office
1509 S Georgeons Drive
Palmer, AK 99645
Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.