Thank you for visiting the Tanana District website!
The Tanana District is one of the largest Cooperative Extension districts geographically in the United States, covering an area of more than 120,000 square miles with a current population of approximately 100,000 distributed in 64 Native villages and the Fairbanks North Star Borough. Much of the district is inaccessible by road.
The Tanana District clientele is very diverse including 4-H leaders, youth groups, homeowners, homemaker clubs, private and commercial agriculture, local government, military personnel, subsistence families, cooperating agencies and the general public.
We have agents here to assist you in areas of agriculture and horticulture; health, home and family development; 4-H and youth development; and natural resources and community development. For more information, click on the program area of interest to visit its webpage.
Tanana District Highlights
- PESTICIDE APPLICATOR TRAINING SESSIONS will be offered via distance delivery at various Extension offices across the state. Fairbanks area participants may attend training at the Tanana District office. Two sessions are planned for 2015. Session 1 meets Jan. 26-28 from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. with testing Jan. 30 from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Session 2 meets April 13-15, 9 a.m.-5 p.m., with testing April 17, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. For more information, please download the class flier.
- CERTIFIED FOOD PROTECTION MANAGER Workshop will be held Wednesday, April 1, from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. by videoconference at various locations throughout the state. Click here for more information. To register, click here. Registration deadline is March 20.
- FOOD PRESERVER CLASS SERIES continues Wednesday, April 8 from 6 to 9 p.m. and continue once per month through October 14. Classes are held in the Fairbanks Commumity Food Bank kitchen. Each class will cost $15. To register, click here.
- HEALTHY HOMES CLASS SERIES continues Monday, March 23, from 6 to 8 p.m. with Mold and Mildew, and continues on a variety of topics twice per month through August 24. Classes are held in the Tanana District conference room. Admission is free, but size is limited. For a complete list of lesson topics and dates, click here. To register, call 474-1530.
- INTRODUCTION TO PLACER MINING is a one-day workshop covering placer exploration and placer mining. Topics include placer geology, claim staking, hand and mechanized methods, building the prospect map, mining agreements, mining methods, mine plans, permitting, mining economics and reclamation. Class takes place in the Tanana District conference room. For more information, see the class flier. Class fee is $50 and online registration is available here.
Office Location, Hours & Phone
LOCATION: 724 27th Ave., Stes. 2 & 3, Fairbanks, AK 99701
We are located within the Fairbanks Community Food Bank building and have a private entrance. To enter our office, please drive around to the back of the building (27th Avenue side) and look for our entrance on the corner of 27th Avenue and Rickert Street. Free parking is avaiable in our reserved lot just across the street.
- Driving Directions: The easiest way to find us is to drive south on South Cushman Street, then take a right on 27th Avenue. Drive two blocks to the intersection of 27th Avenue and Rickert Street. Look to your right for our building and parking lot.
HOURS: We are available to assist you Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Most days, we remain open over the lunch hour.
PHONE: Still have questions? Please call us at 907-474-1530 — we are happy to help!
Tanana District Listserv
Be one of the first to hear about classes, workshops and other events in the Tanana District! Join the listserv for announcements of general interest.
Class Registration Link
This link will take you to any district class available for credit card registration. Check our calendar at the link below for other district events.
Calendar of Events
Check out what's going on in Fairbanks and surrounding areas — classes, conferences, camps and more!
Tanana District Newsletters
Tanana Valley Master Gardener Update (MGU)