Thank you for visiting the Tanana District website!
The Tanana District is one of the largest Cooperative Extension districts geographically in the United States, covering an area of more than 120,000 square miles with a current population of approximately 100,000 distributed in 64 Native villages and the Fairbanks North Star Borough. Much of the district is inaccessible by road.
The Tanana District clientele is very diverse including 4-H leaders, youth groups, homeowners, homemaker clubs, private and commercial agriculture, local government, military personnel, subsistence families, cooperating agencies and the general public.
We have agents here to assist you in areas of agriculture and horticulture; health, home and family development; 4-H and youth development; and natural resources and community development. For more information, click on the program area of interest to visit its webpage.
Tanana District Highlights
- SPRING EXTENSION WEEK is April 21–25. All classes will be held in our office at 724 27th Ave. (directions below). For a detailed list of classes and times, click here. For more information, call 474-1530 or 474-2420.
- GRAFTING APPLE TREES WORKSHOPS are scheduled for April 30, May 3 and May 4. Pick the day that works best for you. Beginner and intermediate workshops available. For class details, registration, fee and what to bring to class, please download the workshop flyer.
- MASTER GARDENER classes for the 2013/2014 school year are now full! For details about our next session of classes, keep an eye on the Class Information page for announcements.
- PESTICIDE APPLICATOR TRAININGS, both certification and recertification, will be offered via distance delivery in January, February and March. The state requires certification for anyone who acts as a pesticide consultant or engages in the commercial or contract use of a pesticide. Certification is also required for individuals who use or sell restricted-use pesticides. Folks in the Fairbanks area may attend videoconferenced sessions at the Tanana District Office at 724 27th Ave., Suite 2. For details, please click on the links below:
- 2014 Pesticide Applicator Training flyer
- 2014 Pesticide Training Schedule
- 2014 Pesticide Training Materials and Costs
- FOOD PRESERVATION SERIES classes continue May 7, 2014, with Jams & Jellies. A total of eight classes will be held on the first Wednesday of the month from 6-9 p.m. in the Fairbanks Community Food Bank kitchen, 725 26th Ave. To register online and pay via credit card, click here. To register and pay with check or cash, come by our office (directions below). Prepayment is strongly encouraged to assure a spot in the class. For more information call 474-2420 or 474-5414.
Office Location, Hours & Phone
LOCATION: 724 27th Ave., Stes. 2 & 3, Fairbanks, AK 99701
We are located within the Fairbanks Community Food Bank building and have a private entrance. To enter our office, please drive around to the back of the building (27th Avenue side) and look for our entrance on the corner of 27th Avenue and Rickert Street. Free parking is avaiable in our reserved lot just across the street.
- Driving Directions: The easiest way to find us is to drive south on South Cushman Street, then take a right on 27th Avenue. Drive two blocks to the intersection of 27th Avenue and Rickert Street. Look to your right for our building and parking lot.
HOURS: We are available to assist you Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Most days, we remain open over the lunch hour.
PHONE: Still have questions? Please call us at 907-474-1530 — we are happy to help!
Tanana District Listserv
Be one of the first to hear about classes, workshops and other events in the Tanana District! Join the listserv for announcements of general interest.
Class Registration Link
This link will take you to any district class available for credit card registration. Check our calendar at the link below for other district events.
Calendar of Events
Check out what's going on in Fairbanks and surrounding areas — classes, conferences, camps and more!