Arctic and Northern Studies
Master's Degree Program
Study climate change, coastal erosion and other critical issues of the circumpolar North at America’s Arctic university. The in-person or online master’s degree in Arctic and Northern studies brings together experts in history, political science, Alaska Native studies, anthropology, English and geography to offer you an educational experience you won’t find anywhere else in the world. You can also focus your degree in Arctic Politics and Policy or pursue an individualized concentration based on your specific research interests.
Who Is the Master’s Degree in Arctic and Northern Studies Designed For?
The Arctic is warming twice as fast as the rest of the world and communities are already experiencing the devastating effects of coastal erosion, sea ice melt, crumbling infrastructure resulting from melting permafrost, and the most destructive wildfires on record, while toxins accumulate within their traditional foods. This unique program is designed for students who want to tackle these important challenges, living and working in the North. It’s also a great option for students who enjoy cross-disciplinary research and learning, and are interested in careers that directly impact people and communities.
Get more information
Why Earn Your Master’s Degree in Arctic and Northern Studies at UAF?
Arctic and Northern studies students at UAF benefit from the extensive Northern expertise and research activities of our faculty, the rich Alaska and circumpolar collections of the UAF library and museum and being surrounded by the North itself. Here are more reasons to major in Arctic and Northern studies at UAF.
- Study at the premier research institution in the circumpolar North, with access to resources you won’t find anywhere else in the world.
- Choose coursework that complements and supports your research interests. Our students have chosen wide-ranging topics including Arctic shipping, Indigenous histories, oil and gas corporate social responsibility, sexual and domestic violence in the North and much more.
- Take part in opportunities such as the Model Arctic Council (MAC) program, a collaborative experiential learning exercise that simulates the work of the Arctic Council bringing together students from throughout the circumpolar North and beyond.
- Learn from award-winning faculty recognized for excellence in teaching, research and public service.
Finding a way to balance school and family life was a crucial part of my search for a graduate program. The online option of the Arctic and Northern Studies MA program was an immediate draw for me. I had been looking for a strong program I could complete from home while still caring for my three children. The ACNS program has more than exceeded my expectations. Over three semesters in the ACNS graduate program at UAF, every single class I have taken has offered a rigorous and challenging educational experience. I am thrilled that the online ACNS program has allowed me the opportunity to pursue my academic goals within a flexible schedule that works for me.Elizabeth Klemm, Research assistant for Arctic and Northern Studies, UAF
What Can You Do With Your Master's Degree in Arctic and Northern Studies?
Prepare for careers in the North and learn about the distinctive conditions and forces that shape our experiences. Earning your master's in Arctic and Northern studies will prepare you for a broad range of career pathways, working in fields such as conservation and resource management, education, social services and more. Some of the organizations that have recently employed our graduates include:
- Alaska Department of Health and Social Services
- Alaska Department of Fish and Game
- Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation
- Center for Arctic Policy Studies at the University of Alaska Fairbanks
- Fairbanks Daily News-Miner
- Bristol Bay Economic Development Corporation
Explore Classes for Arctic and Northern Studies Majors
This flexible master’s program allows you to focus your degree in Arctic politics and policy or individualized study. In addition to developing knowledge of the circumpolar region, the curriculum is also designed to sharpen your analytical, critical thinking and writing skills.
Get Started on Your Master's Degree in Arctic and Northern Studies
Take the next step toward earning your master's degree. We have the resources to help you get started.
Have questions? Our expert advisors are here to guide you every step of the way. Let us know how we can help.
Transferring to UAF? We can walk you through the process and help make sure you get the most out of the credits you’ve earned.