Kenai Peninsula District Office
The Kenai District Cooperative Extension Service Office is temporarily closed due to the COVID-19 emergency. However, we are still working to help keep our community well-informed and healthy. If you have agriculture, horticulture, yard, garden, and crop pest and disease questions, please click here to submit your questions or request for assistance (click here). If you have food and health questions please visit our Ask an Expert program. Alternatively, you can still contact us by phone or by email.
Even when our office is closed, you can download all of our free publications anytime at http://cespubs.uaf.edu/
At this time, we have cancelled all in-person workshops and classes at the Kenai District Cooperative Extension Office Classroom and are instead offering Zoom Webinars. These webinars are free. If you have previously registered for a class you will be contacted with cancellation details, and additionally, all persons RSVP'd or registered for an event will be sent new information with connection details 24 hours prior to each webinar.
|Tuesday, April 14||5:30 pm||Pasture and Hay Workshop Part 1 - Understanding Soils, Fertilizers, and Lime|
|Tuesday, April 21||5:30 pm||Pasture and Hay Workshop Part 2 - Seeding, Harvesting, and Grazing|
|Thursday, May 7||5:30 pm||Composting for your Farm, Yard, or Garden|
|Tuesday, May 12||5:30 pm||Lawn Management for your Home|
|Tuesday, May 19||5:30 pm||Preparing Your Garden Soil for Planting and Warming Your Soil|
|Thursday, May 21||5:30 pm||Direct Seeding and Transplanting into the Garden|
Soil Testing and Interpretation
Understanding what nutrients are available in your soil for your plants is needed in order to supply your garden with the building blocks to promote healthy and vigorous growth. Taking a soil sample and analyzing a soil test is the only way to know what nutrients are in your soil and how much fertilizer to apply to your garden. Review the documents below for more information on taking a soil sample, testing, and interpreting your results.
- Garden/Farm Soil Test Calculator
- Peony Soil Test Calculator
- Tree and Shrub Soil Test Calculator
- Sampling and Testing your Soil
- Factors to Consider in Selecting a Soil Testing Laboratory
- Request a Custom Soil Test Interpretation
Range and Livestock Calculators
- Cattle Stocking Rate Calculator
- Domestic Livestock Stocking Rate Calculator
- Pasture and Wildland Seeding Rate Calculator
- Forage Test Nitrate Converter
Spruce Bark Beetles: What you need to know
Spruce Bark Beetles are making an impact on spruce trees across the Kenai Peninsula. Click here in order to:
- learn what bark beetles are and how they damage trees.
- learn bark beetle groups in Alaska.
- learn signs and symptoms of bark beetle activity.
- learn potential bark beetle threats to Alaska.
- become familiar with the vocabulary of bark beetles.
For even more information, view Spruce Bark Beetles: Tree Management Options for Home and Woodlot Owners for Southcentral and Interior Alaska