Three Minute Thesis (3MT)
Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) celebrates the exciting research and scholarship conducted by graduate students around the world. Developed by The University of Queensland (UQ), the competition allows students to share their work with a broad audience. 3MT promotes students’ academic and professional communication skills. Presenting a 3MT increases students' capacity to explain their scholarship while engaging (and entertaining) a general audience. All of this with personal presence and one PowerPoint® slide...
3MT at UAF
This year we are hosting an inaugural Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) competition in February, which we hope will become an annual event for our campuses and their communities. The preliminary heats and the event finals will take place via Zoom. Panels of judges will rank the presentations, and there will be cash prizes. However, everyone will be able to watch the 3MT presentations and choose the People’s Choice winners.
To help students prepare for the 3MT®, the Graduate School will offer a series of workshops in collaboration with the Department of Communication and Journalism (COJO). COJO faculty, Amy May, Director of the Speaking Center, and Rob Prince, Producer and Host of Dark Winter Nights, will offer a series of workshops for students to develop and practice their presentation and story-telling skills.
Watch our 3MT Launch Event recording to learn more about this event! Interested in participating? Join our mailing list to stay up-to-date! Even better, register for a workshop event or to compete at the links below!
- January 20 (1-2PM): Workshop #1: The Pillars of Your 3MT | Register Now
- January 27 (1-2 PM): Workshop #2: Brainstorming Your Research Story | Register Now
- February 2 (1-2): Workshop #3: Presenting your Research as a Compelling Story | Register Now
- February 3 (1-2 PM): Workshop #4: Visualizing Your Research Story | Register Now
- February 10 (1-2 PM): Workshop #5: It’s All About Delivery on Zoom | Register Now
- February 14 (1-2 PM): Workshop #6: Mock Trials & Feedback | Register Now
One-on-one with the Speaking Center Coaches
3MT students are encouraged to schedule one-on-one sessions with the Speaking Center coaches to work on any aspect of content development and delivery.
3MT presentations from Alaska and beyond