UAF to host New Year’s Eve fireworks display
UPDATE: Dec. 30, 2021
The Fairbanks Curling Lions’ 32nd annual Sparktacular celebration will take place as scheduled on Friday, Dec. 31, at 8 p.m.
Due to heavy amounts of snow and ice from the recent winter storms, members of the public are encouraged to plan ahead, use caution and come early if they are attending the fireworks display in person. Here's what the public needs to know about this year's event:
- Assume you will not be able to park alongside roads on and near campus. Crews have been working hard to remove snow from the roads, but shoulders are likely to have berms. Roads need to be clear for emergency vehicles.
- Parking on campus will also be more limited than usual. Parking lots are being cleared, but there will be snow piles.
- Because of limited parking, car pool if possible and come earlier than normal.
- Roads near the fallout zone will be closing around 7 p.m. Plan to be parked well before that.
- Because parking will be more limited than usual, you may not be able to watch from your car. Be prepared to walk to a viewing location.
- Temperatures are forecast to be around 10 below with wind chills down to 20 below.
Make sure you are dressed for cold in case you have to walk.
The University of Alaska Fairbanks will host the Fairbanks Curling Lions’ 32nd annual Sparktacular celebration on Friday, Dec. 31. Fireworks will be displayed at UAF’s West Ridge starting at 8 p.m.
Most UAF buildings will be closed during the fireworks display. As a COVID-19 precaution, masks are required indoors, as well as outdoors when social distancing is not possible.
University fire and police departments will begin closing roads and ski trails near the staging area at about 7 p.m. Alaska Railroad trains travel through the area, and pedestrians and snowmachine riders are asked to stay clear of the tracks. Personal fireworks, bonfires, drones and sky lanterns are prohibited.
Sparktacular is organized by Mike Thomas, owner of University Chevron. It is sponsored by the following Fairbanks community groups and businesses:
Dunlap Insurance Agency
Napa Auto Parts
University of Alaska Fairbanks
KTVF Channel 11
KXDF CBS 13
KFXF Channel 7
Mt. McKinley Bank
Interior Towing and Salvage
Napa AutoCare Centers
Gas & Diesel Doctor
Monkey Wrench Mechanical
Interior Baseball Lions
Dollar Rent-a-Car of Fairbanks