Take a Crash Course in College Success
The Rural Alaska Honor's Institute (RAHI) is a competitive program that gives rural and Alaska Native students a chance to find out what it's like to be a college student. For six action-packed weeks, students live in dorms on UAF's Troth Yeddha' campus, take 8-11 college credits, explore interior Alaska through a variety of outdoor activities, and volunteer in the Fairbanks community. The best part, aside from getting college credits and gaining lifelong friends from across the state, is that the entire experience is completely free.
You will be challenged. You will be exhausted. You will have fun.
To attend RAHI, you must:
- Be Alaska Native or rural Alaskan
- Be a high school junior or senior (students will attend RAHI after their junior or senior year of high school)
- Have a 3.0 or higher cumulative GPA
- Have the ability to read at or above grade level
- Be committed to earning a college degree
- RAHI Traditional is an exploratory track that offers a variety of elective options. It accommodates
students who are particularly interested in one of the course subjects or who may
not know what their path is. Courses include Writing; Library Science; Study Skills;
Process Technology, Math, Business, or Chemistry; and a recreation class.
- RAHI Research is for students who are interested in conducting science. Students are paired with
UAF research mentors that help them conduct projects. Courses include Biomedical Research;
Undergraduate Research Experience; Organic and Biochemistry; and a recreation class.
- RAHI Teach is for students who are interested in teaching, particularly within the state of Alaska. Courses include Writing; Study Skills; Teaching in Alaska; Alaska Native Language Study; a recreation class.
In addition, students may work with their high schools to determine what courses can be applied as dual credit. This is especially nice for juniors who want to shorten up their senior year.
- 8:00am-3:15pm - Academic Classes
- 3:30pm-5:00pm - Recreation Class
- 5:00pm-6:00pm - Dinner
- 7:00pm-9:00pm - Study Hall (Sunday through Thursday)
- Angel Rocks/Chena Hot Springs Hike
- Fairbanks Scavenger Hunt
- Fun Olympics at Bingle Camp
- Denali Whitewater Rafting
- 4th of July Picnic
- Chena River Float
- Midnight Sun Run
- Volunteer at Calypso Farms
- Volunteer at the Large Animal Research Station