A voice of inspiration
The words we choose -- our brand voice -- define our identity and tell our story. Our brand voice must faithfully represent the personality of UAF, which is sociable, engaging, stimulating, down-to-earth and always game. All our communications should bring that personality to life and paint a picture of who we are, how we think and what we want to achieve.
Our voice reflects our values. We are sociable and engaging. We are by nature a close-knit community that seeks authenticity, challenge and adventure at every turn. We look at individual achievement in terms of how it affects our community and greater society. We are down-to-earth. We speak from the heart, using straightforward language to communicate even the most complex ideas. We are stimulating and always game. We aren't afraid to make bold statements. We don't just offer degree programs -- we offer life-changing experiences and boundless opportunity.
|We are the University of Alaska Fairbanks, inspiring great people to do great things.||The University of Alaska Fairbanks boasts a multitude of graduates who go on to achieve unparalleled success.|
|Venture outside the classroom, where fieldwork really is in the field -- unless it's in the forest, ocean, or any of the rugged terrain that makes up Alaska's vast, natural laboratory. Around here, if you're game, you're in.||UAF offers programs that guide students from introductory knowledge to advanced work within a special area of concentration. Many noncurricular resources are available that help translate our students' goals into reality.|
|We invite you to explore the possibilities of the Last Frontier -- where inspiration is around every bend, independence is championed, and adventure is inevitable.||We urge you to tour our world-renowned facilities, bear witness to the spectacular natural environment that compels contemplation, and realize your full academic potential.|
|We have experts to guide you and a dare-to-be-great situation with your name on it.||We offer a wide range of disciplines and degree programs to choose from, as well as friendly, knowledgeable career counselors who can help you determine which path is right for you.|
|EXAMPLE OF AN OPENING PARAGRAPH|
|There are places in this world where you are destined to discover who you truly are. Here at UAF, as wisdom passes from one generation to the next, revolutionary ideas are thriving and a new academic culture is taking shape. Smarter questions. Better answers.|
You've got skills to master, records to set and discoveries to make.
Launch a rocket. Monitor muskoxen. Study in Spain. It's your life. Make it off the charts or off the grid.
|The University of Alaska Fairbanks believes that all students should have the opportunity to reach their goals. Thus, it is our mission to help each and every student attain the skills needed to succeed in the modern world.|
All communication materials written for or about the University of Alaska Fairbanks should have consistent style, tone and editorial standards.
Federal law requires the following statement to appear on any bulletins, announcements, publications, catalogs, application forms, or other recruitment materials that are made available to participants, students, applicants, or employees:
Approved short version of affirmative action/equal opportunity and nondiscrimination notice (required)
The University of Alaska Fairbanks is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and educational institution. UAF does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, age, sex, physical or mental disability, status as a protected veteran, marital status, changes in marital status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, parenthood, sexual orientation, gender identity, political affiliation or belief, genetic information, or other legally protected status. The University's commitment to non-discrimination, including against sex discrimination, applies to students, employees, and applicants for admission and employment. Contact information, applicable laws, and complaint procedures are included on UAF's statement of non-discrimination available at www.alaska.edu/titleIXcompliance/nondiscrimination.
OR micro combination affirmative action/equal opportunity and nondiscrimination notice (if space allows please use the above approved short version)
UAF is an AA/EO employer and educational institution and prohibits illegal discrimination against any individual: www.alaska.edu/titleIXcompliance/nondiscrimination.
Accreditation statement (optional)
The University of Alaska Fairbanks is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities.
* as defined by the NSF for R&D expenditures
We are Alaska’s research university and America’s Arctic university.
- UAF is a national and world leader in climate change and Arctic research.
- UAF researchers are world-renowned in their fields, and the work they do is important and notable.
- UAF maintains many partnerships and collaborations throughout Alaska and the world that drive innovation and create meaningful discoveries.
- UAF’s research helps sustain Alaska’s economic growth and enhance Alaska communities.
We deliver a high-quality education at an affordable price.
- We are Alaska’s only Land, Sea and Space Grant University, offering everything from workforce development and vocational programs to master’s degrees and Ph.D.s.
- At UAF, students find a wide variety of academic programs to inspire them.
- An education at UAF provides a hands-on learning experience in the vast, dynamic laboratory that is Alaska.
- Students at the Fairbanks campus have a traditional college experience, including a robust campus life, opportunities for research and creative work, small class sizes and accessible instructors.
- Community campuses and outreach and learning centers throughout Alaska provide enriching education and programs that reflect the cultural, social and economic values of the communities they serve.
We enrich the lives of Alaskans and engage our communities, state, nation and world through our teaching, research and service work.
- UAF is a catalyst for innovation and economic development for communities and the state.
- UAF is a good investment for our partners, donors and funding agencies.
- UAF is an asset to Alaska, the nation and the world, making our communities a better place to live.
Our location defines us and provides transformational experiences, from the personal to the global.
- The Alaska lifestyle is woven into the UAF experience.
- At UAF, our location offers the opportunity for global significance, just outside the front door.
- In work and play, we embrace our unique lifestyle and inspiring surroundings.
- Our Arctic location defines our research.
We are a welcoming and supportive community.
- Your success matters to. We will help you find what you need to succeed here, as a student or a professional.
- At UAF, everyone fits in: We are diverse, attracting people of all ages and backgrounds and from around the world.
- UAF is a family. Once a Nanook, always a Nanook.