Mission and Goals
Rooted in core social work values, we educate generalist social work practitioners to promote the health and well-being of individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities, emphasizing the diversity and uniqueness of rural Alaska.
We create a community of critical thinkers dedicated to becoming competent, culturally sensitive professionals engaged in lifelong learning. We prepare students:
- For generalist social work practice with individuals, families, groups, organizations and communities.
- To integrate the values and ethics of the social work profession into generalist practice
- To apply critical thinking to inform and communicate professional judgments
- To engage diversity in generalist practice to advance human rights and advocate for social and economic justice.
- To understand bio-psycho-social, spiritual, and cultural functioning and apply it to all client systems.
- To conduct research and scholarship applicable to the Alaskan context which contributes to individual and community well-being.