Special instructions

  1. Apply to UAF online, using the instructions for new students.
  2. Fill out and send in the WUE application (PDF).

About Western Undergraduate Exchange

Undergraduates living in western states can use WUE to get higher education at a public college or university outside their home state but within the western region at a reduced tuition cost. WUE eligibility at UAF is reserved for incoming undergraduate students pursuing approved programs.

WUE participating states

Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wyoming and the Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas Islands (CNMI).

NOTE: Students attending any campus of the University of Alaska system under the Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) program are receiving the benefit of reduced tuition because of their residency in a partner state. Therefore, time spent in WUE does not count toward the time to establish residency in Alaska for tuition purposes.

Tuition and fees

As a WUE participant you will be charged a reduced tuition rate equal to 150 percent of the amount charged to Alaska residents. University fees, books and supplies, and room and board are the same for all students at UAF.

Find out the specifics on WUE tuition and fees.

Approved programs of study

Students can pursue any major available at UAF but cannot be undeclared.

Bachelor's degrees

Alaska Native Studies
Biological Sciences
Business Administration
Child Development & Family Studies
Civil Engineering
Computer Engineering
Computer Science
Earth Science
Education, Elementary
Electrical Engineering
Emergency Management
Eskimo (Inupiaq or Yup'ik)
Foreign Languages
Geological Engineering
Japanese Studies
Mechanical Engineering
Mining Engineering
Natural Resources Management
Northern Studies
Petroleum Engineering
Physics, Applied
Political Science
Rural Development
Russian Studies
Social Work
Wildlife Biology
Yup'ik Language & Culture

Associate degrees

Accounting, Applied
Apprenticeship Technology
Aviation Maintenance
Business, Applied
Community Health
Construction Management
Construction Trades Technology
Culinary Arts
Dental Assistant
Early Childhood Education
Educator: Para-Professional
Emergency Services
Human Services
Information Technology Specialist
Interdisciplinary Studies
Medical Assistant
Native Language Education
Paralegal Studies
Piloting, Professional
Process Technology
Renewable Resources
Tribal Management
Yup'ik Language Proficiency


Accounting Technician
Airframe & Powerplant
Automotive Technology
Aviation Technology
Business Management, Applied
Community Health
Construction Trades Technology
Culinary Arts
Dental Assistant
Diesel/Heavy Equipment
Drafting Technology
Early Childhood Education
Educator: Para-Professional
Ground Vehicle Maintenance
Health Care Reimbursement
High Latitude Range Management
Information Technology Specialist
Instrumentation Technology
Medical Assistant
Medical/Dental Reception
Mining Applications & Technologies
Native Language Education
Office Management and Technology
Power Generation
Rural Human Services
Safety, Health & Environmental Awareness Technology
Tribal Management
Veterinary Science
Yup'ik Language Proficiency

Application instructions

New students (undergraduate and graduate)

New students: Students who have never attended the University of Alaska.
  1. Review your admission requirements
  2. Go to the UAOnline home page
  3. Select Apply for Admission or Check on Status of Application

  4. Select First-time User Account Creation (at bottom of page)
    You will be asked to create an ID and PIN before continuing to the application form. Please make note of this ID and PIN for future use.
  5. Choose a campus
  6. Click on your application type: 

    • U.S. Assoc./Cert 1 and 2 year:
      U.S. citizens or permanent residents who wish to pursue an associate degree or certificate program

    • U.S. Bachelor - 4 year:  
      U.S. citizens or permanent residents who wish to pursue a bachelor’s degree

    • U.S. Graduate - Master/Phd:
      U.S. citizens or permanent residents who wish to pursue a master’s degree, doctorate or graduate licensure

    • UA Scholars:
      students who have been designated as UA Scholars by their high school

    • International Bachelor - 4 year:
      students who are, or will be, in the U.S. on a visa and who wish to pursue a bachelor’s program

    • International Grad - Master/PhD:
      students who are, or will be, in the U.S. on a visa and who wish to pursue a master’s degree, doctorate or graduate licensure program

  7. Click continue to complete the online application and pay the application fee. (A credit card is required.)
  8. Submit all of the required documentation to the Office of Admissions and the Registrar.
Back to Top